Miami Fun Facts
In a 2009 UBS study of 73 world cities, Miami was ranked as the richest city in the United States (of four U.S.
For this reason, the mass transit systems in and around Miami are elevated or at-grade.
Miami is also one of the very few cities where its local government went bankrupt, in 2001.
The City of Miami is governed by Mayor Tomás Regalado and 5 City commissioners which oversee the five districts in the City.
The cuisine of Miami is a reflection of its diverse population, with a heavy influence especially from Caribbean cuisine and from Latin American cuisine.
Sample list of newspapers published in Miami:
- Miami New Times
- The Miami News
- Urdu Times
- The Beacon
- Good News in South Florida
Miami was officially incorporated as a city on July 28, 1896 with a population of just over 300.
However, since that time, Miami has experienced a revival: in 2008, Miami was ranked as "America's Cleanest City" according to Forbes for its year-round good air quality, vast green spaces, clean drinking water, clean streets and city-wide recycling programs.
Population of Miami was 408,750 in the year 2011.
According to a 2009 UBS study of 73 world cities, Miami was ranked as the richest city in the United States, and the world's fifth-richest city in terms of purchasing power.
Miami's official website is http://www.ci.miami.fl.us/
Miami's geo-coordinates are 25.7877° N, 80.2241° W.
In 1946, the Miami Seahawks played in the All-America Football Conference for one season, 1946, and then folded.
Miami is noted as "the only major city in the United States conceived by a woman, Julia Tuttle", a local citrus grower and a wealthy Cleveland native.
The overall culture of Miami is heavily influenced by its large population of Hispanics and blacks mainly from the Caribbean islands.
Sample list of tourist attractions in Miami:
- Jungle Island
- Venetian Pool
- Frost Art Museum
- Lowe Art Museum
- Miami Seaquarium
- Holocaust Memorial of the Greater Miami Jewish Federation
- Coral Castle
- Jewish Museum of Florida
- Miami Art Museum
- Villa Vizcaya
- Bass Museum of Art
- Bayfront Park
- Black Point Marina
- Tower Theater
Sample list of fictional characters born in Miami:
- Eric Delko ( from "CSI: Miami" )
Here are average temperatures and rainfall of Miami by month ( based on last 5 years ) :
|Min Temp (°C)||Max Temp (°C)||Rainfall (mm)|
Miami is about 92.42 square kilometers with a population of 408,750 in the year 2011.
Miami is located in Miami-Dade County, Florida, United States of America.
In 2010, Miami was ranked as the 44th most bike-friendly city in the US according to Bicycling Magazine.
Sample list of films shot in Miami:
- Public Enemies ( starring Johnny Depp as John Dillinger, Christian Bale as Melvin Purvis, Channing Tatum as Pretty Boy Floyd )
- The Anchor Hotel ( starring Sasha Byazrov, Dean Spencer )
- Gangsters At Large ( starring Sergei Jordonov )
- Hot Times In Little Havana ( starring Buddy Jones, Pietro Rosselli, Juan Pauzao )
- Midnight Cowboy ( starring Jon Voight as Joe Buck, Dustin Hoffman as Ratso Rizzo, John McGiver as Mr. O'Daniel )
Sample list of people who were the mayor of Miami:
- Tomás Pedro Regalado ( Current Mayor, from 11 Nov 2009 )
Miami is also a major fashion center, home to models and some of the top modeling agencies in the world.
You can get to Miami by air, train and/or bus:
- You can take a plane and go to:
- Miami International Airport
- Fort Lauderdale–Hollywood International Airport
- You can take a train and go to:
- Miami International Airport
- You can take a bus and go to:
- 1012 NW 1st Ave.
List of airports near Miami:
- Kendall-Tamiami Executive Airport
- Miami International Airport
- Opa-locka Executive Airport
- Dade-Collier Training and Transition Airport
- Opa-locka West Airport
- Homestead General Aviation Airport
There were about 6,420 foreclosures in Miami in the year 2008 according to data from United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.
There were about 68,537 mortgages in Miami in the year 2008 according to data from United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.
Sample list of famous people who were born in Miami:
- Kathy Castor ( Lawyer and Politician )
- Kendrick Meek ( Politician and Police officer )
- E. Clay Shaw, Jr. ( Politician and Lawyer )
- Natalie Martinez ( Actor and Model )
- Diora Baird ( Model and Actor )
- Eva Mendes ( Actor, Model, Singer, Designer, Spokesperson and Businessperson )
- Sidney Poitier ( Actor, Writer, Diplomat and Film Director )
- Alexa Vega ( Actor and Singer )
- Catherine Keener ( Actor and Film Producer )
- William H. Macy ( Actor, Voice Actor, Film Producer, Theatre Director, Television Director, Film Director, Teacher, Writer and Screenwriter )
- Perez Hilton ( Writer, Actor and TV Personality )
- Bill Nelson ( Lawyer and Politician )
- William B. Lenoir ( Engineer and Astronaut )
- Winston E. Scott ( Pilot and Astronaut )
- Priscilla Taylor ( Nude Glamour Model and Actor )
- Steve Carlton ( Baseball player )
- Elisa Bridges ( Nude Glamour Model and Pornographic actor )
- Pamela Saunders ( Nude Glamour Model )
- Christina Smith ( Nude Glamour Model )
- Frank Gonzalez
- Andre Berto
- Dennis Regan ( Comedian )
- Ed Roberts ( Physician )
- Miguel Gonzalez
- Eric Vasquez
- Marcus Hudson ( American football player )
- Willis McGahee ( American football player )
- William Joseph ( American football player )
- Doug Gabriel ( American football player )
- Reggie Kinlaw ( American football player )
- Elvis Dumervil ( American football player )
- Brian Griese ( American football player )
- Kevin Carter ( American football player )
- Roell Preston ( American football player )
- Antonio Bryant ( American football player )
- Curry Burns ( American football player )
- Chad Ochocinco ( American football player and Athlete )
- Blue Adams ( American football player )
- Roscoe Parrish ( American football player )
- Cecil Sapp ( American football player )
- Greg Lloyd, Sr. ( American football player )
- Charlie Waters ( American football player )
- Brett Perriman ( American football player )
- Derrick Gibson ( American football player )
- Tony Martin ( American football player )
- Samari Rolle ( American football player )
- Stephen Tulloch ( American football player )
- Pat Thomas ( American football player )
- David Little ( American football player )
- Vernon Carey ( American football player )
There were 134,344 households in Miami in the year 2008 according to data from United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.
Florida High Speed Rail was planned to connect Miami with Orlando and Tampa in a single line, but was canceled in 2011.
The miami was named for the nearby Miami River, derived from Mayaimi, the historic name of Lake Okeechobee.
In 1996, Miami acquired the AFL team the Sacramento Attack, which was renamed as the Miami Hooters (due to its association with the Florida-based Hooters restaurant chain), and it played from 1993 to 1995.
There were 159,433 addresses in Miami in the year 2008 according to data from United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.
Sample list of famous events happened in Miami:
- NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Tournament
- Miss Universe 1985
- shoe bomb plot
- FBI Miami shootout
- Elián González affair
- World Latin Dance Cup
- Miami International Film Festival
Public transportation in Miami is operated by Miami-Dade Transit and SFRTA, and includes commuter rail (Tri-Rail), heavy-rail rapid transit (Metrorail), an elevated people mover (Metromover), and buses (Metrobus).
Miami is in the Eastern Time Zone.
The unemployment rate of Miami was 6.04% in the year 2008.
List of sports teams from Miami:
- Miami Heat ( Basketball )
- Calgary Cowboys ( Ice Hockey )
- Miami Marlins ( Baseball )
- Miami Hurricanes football ( College football )
Miami is also consistently ranked as one of the most dangerous cities in the United States for pedestrians.
In 2011, Miami was ranked as the sixth most-read city in the U.S.
The Port of Miami is the world's busiest cruise port, and MIA is the busiest airport in Florida, and the largest gateway between the United States and Latin America.
Miami is a major television production center, and the most important city in the U.S.
In 2007, Miami was identified as having the rudest drivers in the United States, the second year in a row to have been cited, in a poll commissioned by automobile club AutoVantage.
In 2012, Miami was classified as an Alpha- World City in the World Cities Study Group’s inventory.
Monday July 14, 2014