Yonkers Fun Facts
The city of Yonkers is protected by 459 firefighters of the city of Yonkers Fire Department (YFD), under the command of a Fire Commissioner and 3 Deputy Chiefs.
There were 74,358 households in Yonkers in the year 2008 according to data from United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.
In addition, the southernmost point of Yonkers is only 2 miles (3 kilometres) north of the northernmost point of Manhattan when measured from Broadway & Caryl Avenue in Yonkers to Broadway & West 228th Street in the Marble Hill section of Manhattan.
In 1894, the voters of Yonkers were able to take part, along with the voters of Kings, Queens and Richmond Counties, in a referendum to determine if they wanted to become part of a "Greater New York City".
Yonkers is located in Westchester County, New York, United States of America.
Public schools in Yonkers are operated by Yonkers Public Schools.
There were about 29,171 mortgages in Yonkers in the year 2008 according to data from United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.
There were 74,461 addresses in Yonkers in the year 2008 according to data from United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.
Sample list of famous people who were born in Yonkers:
- Samuel S. Stratton ( Politician )
- Vincent Oshana ( Actor and Comedian )
- Don Maloney ( Politician and Businessperson )
- Erik Palladino ( Actor, Singer, Voice Actor and Film Producer )
- Gary LeRoi Gray ( Actor and Voice Actor )
- Peter Telep ( Novelist, Writer, Screenwriter and Author )
- Steve Cohen ( Writer, Magician and Presenter )
- Frances Foster ( Actor and Theatre Director )
- Ben Powers ( Actor )
- James Comey ( Businessperson )
- Michael Fox ( Actor )
- Joe Howard ( Actor )
- Thomas Mikal Ford ( Actor, Comedian and Film Producer )
- Adam Rodríguez ( Actor, Television Director and Screenwriter )
- Lil' Zane ( Actor and Rapper )
- Robert Shayne ( Actor and Journalist )
- Richard Yates ( Novelist, Author and Writer )
- Phil Amicone ( Engineer and Politician )
- Lawrence Monoson ( Actor )
- Tommy Dreamer ( Wrestler, Actor and Screenwriter )
- John Spencer ( Politician )
- Clayton LeBouef ( Actor )
- Sid Caesar ( Comedian, Actor, Writer, Musician, Saxophonist, Composer and Author )
- Paul Teutul, Sr. ( Sailor, Businessperson and Television producer )
- Ronald J. Garan, Jr. ( Fighter pilot and Astronaut )
- Jon Voight ( Actor and Film Producer )
- Steve Meretzky ( Game designer )
- Daniel Carleton Gajdusek ( Scientist and Physician )
- Jimmy Kennedy ( American football player )
- Dave Costa ( American football player )
- Joe Avezzano ( Coach )
- Robert W. Sweet ( Judge )
- Ann Marie Doory ( Lawyer )
- Mark Blount ( Basketball player )
- Eddie Kingston ( Wrestler )
- James Blake ( Tennis player )
- Thomas Blake ( Tennis player )
- Larry Mann ( Race car driver )
- John Howard Northrop ( Chemist and Scientist )
- Ricky Scaggs
- John Kendrick Bangs
- Frederic M. Poses
- Billy Burch
- Nealon Greene ( American football player )
- Lea Maurer ( Coach )
- Ethel D. Jacobs
- Dan Pasqua ( Baseball player )
- Laurence Piturro
- Darling Jimenez
- Hans H. Driessnack
Yonkers is in the Eastern Time Zone.
Sample list of people who were the mayor of Yonkers:
- Mike Spano ( Current Mayor, from 01 Jan 2012 )
Population of Yonkers was 197,399 in the year 2011.
Yonkers's official website is http://www.yonkersny.gov/
Yonkers is about 52.58 square kilometers with a population of 197,399 in the year 2011.
There were about 1,016 foreclosures in Yonkers in the year 2008 according to data from United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.
The population of northwestern Yonkers is probably the most ethnically diverse in the city.
The two block section of Palisade Ave between Chase and Roberts Avenues in northwest Yonkers is colloquially known as "the north end" or "the end".
Sample list of tourist attractions in Yonkers:
- Yonkers Raceway
- Philipsburgh Building
- Philipse Manor Hall State Historic Site
- Untermyer Park
- Tibbetts Brook Park
- Eleazer Hart House
- John Copcutt Mansion
- Ethan Flagg House-Blessed Sacrament Monastery
- Bell Place-Locust Avenue Historic District
- Hudson River Museum
Yonkers is served by two heavy-rail commuter lines.
The unemployment rate of Yonkers was 5.78% in the year 2008.
Yonkers's geo-coordinates are 40.9414° N, 73.8644° W.
Sample list of films shot in Yonkers:
- The Namesake ( starring Tabu as Ashima, Kal Penn as Gogol, Zuleikha Robinson as Moushumi Mazumdar )