Denver Fun Facts
Currently, RTD is expanding the rail through Aurora along I-225 and building a commuter line along I-70 to connect Downtown with Stapleton and the Denver International Airport.
Denver is the most populous city within a radius centered in the city and of 550 miles (885 km) magnitude.
Sample list of tourist attractions in Denver:
- Denver Museum of Nature and Science
- Museum of Contemporary Art Denver
- Forney Transportation Museum
- Molly Brown House
- Chamberlin Observatory
- Black American West Museum & Heritage Center
- Colorado State Capitol
- Denver Mint
- Denver Botanic Gardens
- Denver Firefighters Museum
- Elitch Gardens
- Frederic C. Hamilton Building
- North Building
- Children's Museum of Denver
- Westin Westminster
On October 31, 2011 it was announced that The University of Denver in Denver was selected as the host of the first of three 2012 presidential debates to be held on October 3, 2012.
Denver also owns the mountain on which the Winter Park Resort ski area is operated in Grand County, 67 miles (110 km) west of Denver.
Denver is the most populous city of the Front Range Urban Corridor, an oblong urban region stretching across three states with population of 5,467,633 in 2010.
Sample list of people who were the mayor of Denver:
- Michael Hancock ( Current Mayor, from 18 Jul 2011 )
- Guillermo "Bill" Vidal ( Mayor, from 12 Jan 2011 to 18 Jul 2011 )
- John Hickenlooper ( Mayor, from 21 Jul 2003 to 11 Jan 2011 )
- Robert R. Wright ( Mayor, from 1901 to 1904 )
- Robert Morris ( Mayor, from 1881 to 1883 )
Denver is about 401.19 square kilometers with a population of 619,968 in the year 2011.
The unemployment rate of Denver was 5.87% in the year 2008.
The City and County of Denver is surrounded by only three other counties: Adams County to the north and east, Arapahoe County to the south and east, and Jefferson County to the west.
The Denver downtown district is located immediately east of the confluence of Cherry Creek with the South Platte River, approximately 12 miles (19 km) east of the foothills of the Rocky Mountains.
The denver was named in 2013 by True West Magazine as one of the top-ten "must see" history museums in the country.
Sample list of books written and focused on Denver:
- "The Probability Broach"
- "Deadly Laws"
- "Bangkok Laws"
- "Invisible cage"
Denver is located in Colorado, United States of America.
In addition to the many bike paths, Denver launched B-Cycle – a city-wide bicycle sharing program – in late April 2010.
The private University of Denver was the first institution of higher learning in the city and was founded in 1864.
Many Denver streets have bicycle lanes, and there are over 850 miles of paved, off-road, bike paths in Denver parks and along bodies of water, like Cherry Creek and the South Platte.
Sample list of fictional characters lived in Denver:
- Mr. Linderman ( from "Heroes" )
Denver's geo-coordinates are 39.7392° N, 104.9847° W.
Denver was built up considerably during this time with the construction of many new downtown skyscrapers.
Denver is primarily served by the interstate freeways I-25 and I-70.
Here are average temperatures and rainfall of Denver by month ( based on last 5 years ) :
|Min Temp (°C)||Max Temp (°C)||Rainfall (mm)|
Sample list of famous events happened in Denver:
- NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Tournament
- OOPSLA 1999
- Seton Hall-Indiana 1989 NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Tournament Game
- Occupy Denver
- Father's Day Bank Massacre
- Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear
- Democratic National Convention
- Starz Denver Film Festival
- Hugo Awards
- Mile High Horror Film Festival
Sample list of newspapers published in Denver:
- The Denver Post
- Denver Daily News
- Denver Business Journal
- The A.V. Club
- The Metropolitan
- The Onion
- Rocky Mountain News
There were about 7,483 foreclosures in Denver in the year 2008 according to data from United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.
Sample list of famous people who were born in Denver:
- Paul Whiteman ( Bandleader, Actor and Composer )
- Bill Ritter ( Lawyer, Politician and Prosecutor )
- Bert Stiles ( Writer )
- L. E. Modesitt, Jr. ( Novelist and Writer )
- Tom Tancredo ( Politician )
- Ed Perlmutter ( Lawyer and Politician )
- Kristin Cavallari ( Actor, TV Personality and Fashion designer )
- David Fincher ( Film Director, Film Producer, Music Video Director, Television producer, Actor, Television Director and Screenwriter )
- Karl Rove ( Commentator, Political writer, Political Consultant and Businessperson )
- Tim Allen ( Comedian, Actor, Voice Actor, Television producer, Film Producer, Screenwriter, Film Director and Television Director )
- Mary Jo Catlett ( Actor, Voice Actor and Comedian )
- David White ( Actor )
- AnnaSophia Robb ( Actor, Singer and Model )
- Frank Welker ( Voice and Actor )
- Joel Geist ( Actor )
- Douglas Fairbanks ( Screenwriter, Actor, Film Producer, Film Director and Businessperson )
- Joseph Castanon ( Actor )
- Joseph C. Phillips ( Actor )
- John L. Hall ( Physicist )
- Jack Swigert ( Politician and Astronaut )
- Gerald P. Carr ( Engineer and Astronaut )
- John M. Lounge ( Engineer and Astronaut )
- Robert McKimson ( Animator, Film Director, Television Director and Illustrator )
- Margaret Singer ( Psychologist )
- Rick Davis
- Keith L. Ware
- Victor H. Krulak
- Aaron King
- David Bowens ( American football player )
- Joe Germaine ( American football player and Coach )
- Jason Craft ( American football player )
- James Darling ( American football player )
- Joe Klopfenstein ( American football player )
- P. K. Sam ( American football player )
- Tom Ashworth ( American football player )
- James Thrash ( American football player )
- Andre Carter ( American football player )
- Andre Woolfolk ( American football player )
- Bo Scaife ( American football player )
- Ryan Denney ( American football player )
- Bobby Hamilton ( American football player )
- Cory Ross ( American football player )
- Bill Kelly
- Ann Fienup-Riordan ( Anthropologist )
- Joe Noris
- David Messerschmitt ( Scientist, Engineer and Electrical engineer )
- John Eisenhower ( Author, Soldier, Diplomat and Military Officer )
- Thomas McKimson ( Animator and Cartoonist )
- Charles McKimson ( Animator and Graphic Artist )
- Susan K. McComas
There were 275,813 addresses in Denver in the year 2008 according to data from United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.
According to the 2010 United States Census, the racial composition of Denver was as follows:.
Denver is in the Mountain Time Zone.
Denver is also served by over 40 AM and FM radio stations, covering a wide variety of formats and styles.
You can get to Denver by air, train and/or bus:
- You can take a plane and go to:
- Denver International Airport
- You can take a train and go to:
- Union Station
- You can take a bus and go to:
- Denver Greyhound Bus Station
Denver is also home to the Colorado Avalanche, a National Hockey League team that relocated from Quebec City in 1995.
Sample list of films shot in Denver:
- Imagine That ( starring Thomas Haden Church as Johnny Whitefeather, Bobb'e J. Thompson as The Kid, Nicole Ari Parker as Trish )
- The Audacity of Democracy
- Larger than Life ( starring Bill Murray as Jack Corcoran, Jeremy Piven as Walter, Janeane Garofalo as Mo )
Tornadoes are rare in Denver, though one notable exception was an F3 tornado that struck 4.4 miles south of Downtown Denver on June 15, 1988.
Denver City served as the Arapahoe County Seat from 1861 until consolidation in 1902.
Population of Denver was 619,968 in the year 2011.
Denver is a consolidated city and county located in the South Platte River Valley on the western edge of the High Plains just east of the Front Range of the Rocky Mountains.
List of airports near Denver:
- Denver International Airport
- Centennial Airport
- Front Range Airport
- Rocky Mountain Metropolitan Airport
Denver was selected in 1970 to host the 1976 Winter Olympics to coincide with Colorado's centennial celebration, but in November 1972 Colorado voters struck down ballot initiatives allocating public funds to pay for the high costs of the games, which were subsequently moved to Innsbruck, Austria.
The city acquired the estate of abstract expressionist painter Clyfford Still in 2004 and built a museum to exhibit his works near the Denver Art Museum.
As of the 2010 census, the population of the City and County of Denver was 600,158, making it the 24th most populous U.S.
There were about 135,774 mortgages in Denver in the year 2008 according to data from United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.
A daunting 100 miles away, citizens mobilized to build a railroad to connect Denver to the transcontinental railroad.
That is part of the reason why Denver was recently recognized for the third year in a row as the best city for singles.
Denver is nicknamed the Mile-High City because its official elevation is exactly one mile or 5,280 feet (1,609.3 m) above sea level, making it one of the highest major cities in the United States.
List of sports teams from Denver:
- Colorado Rockies ( Baseball )
- Denver Broncos ( American football )
- Denver Nuggets ( Basketball )
- Colorado Avalanche ( Ice Hockey )
- Denver Spurs ( Ice Hockey )
- Colorado Rapids ( Football )
Denver is ranked as a beta world city by the Globalization and World Cities Research Network.
There were 239,415 households in Denver in the year 2008 according to data from United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.
This allows for a significant portion of Denver's population to be bicycle commuters and has led to Denver being known as a bicycle friendly city.
Denver's official website is http://www.denvergov.org/
Denver is located in the center of the Front Range Urban Corridor, between the Rocky Mountains to the west and the High Plains to the east.