Flagstaff Fun Facts
There were 24,598 addresses in Flagstaff in the year 2008 according to data from United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.
Penney left the downtown area in 1979 to open up as anchor stores in the new Flagstaff Mall, joined in 1986 by Dillard's.
Flagstaff was incorporated as a city in 1928, and in 1929, the city's first motel, the Motel Du Beau, was built at the intersection of Beaver Street and Phoenix Avenue.
Flagstaff is fairly bike-friendly; there are bike lanes on many major streets, and the Flagstaff Urban Trails System (FUTS) includes more than 50 miles of off-street trails that wind throughout the community.
Flagstaff is located in Coconino County, Arizona, United States of America.
Flagstaff is located adjacent to Mount Elden, just south of the San Francisco Peaks, the highest mountain range in the state of Arizona.
Population of Flagstaff was 65,914 in the year 2011.
Drinking water in Flagstaff is produced from conventional surface water treatment at the Lake Mary Water Treatment Plant, located on Upper Lake Mary, as well as from springs at the inner basin of the San Francisco Peaks.
Flagstaff is in the Mountain Time Zone.
About nine percent of trips in Flagstaff are made by bicycle.
Sample list of tourist attractions in Flagstaff:
- San Francisco Peaks
- Arizona Snowbowl
- Lowell Observatory
- Walnut Canyon National Monument
- Meteor Crater
- Wupatki National Monument
- Coconino National Forest
- Museum of Northern Arizona
- Lava River Cave
- Sunset Crater Volcano National Monument
- Riordan Mansion State Historic Park
- Grand Falls, Arizona
In homage to the city's importance in the field of astronomy, asteroid 2118 Flagstaff is named for the city, and 6582 Flagsymphony for the Flagstaff Symphony Orchestra.
On October 24, 2001, Flagstaff was recognized by the International Dark-Sky Association as the world's first "International Dark-Sky City.".
Flagstaff's official website is http://www.flagstaff.az.gov/
There were about 8,182 mortgages in Flagstaff in the year 2008 according to data from United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.
The major rail corridor running through Flagstaff is the Southern Transcon, originally built by the Santa Fe Railway and now owned and operated by the BNSF Railway.
List of airports near Flagstaff:
- Flagstaff Pulliam Airport
Winter weather patterns in Flagstaff are cyclonic and frontal in nature, originating in the eastern Pacific Ocean.
In addition to the numerous public schools, there are several charter schools operating in the Flagstaff area including Flagstaff Junior Academy, Northland Preparatory Academy (ranked #52 in USA News's America's Top 100 Best High Schools), the Flagstaff Arts and Leadership Academy BASIS Flagstaff and the Montessori Schools of Flagstaff.
Sample list of newspapers published in Flagstaff:
- Arizona Daily Sun
- the Noise
- Navajo-Hopi Observer
There are 19 public schools, with 11,500 students and 800 faculty and staff, in the Flagstaff Unified School District.
Sample list of famous people who were born in Flagstaff:
- Tyler Gillett ( Film Director, Film Producer, Film Editor, Screenwriter, Cinematographer, Television Director, Television Editor, Television producer and Actor )
- Taylor Geare ( Actor )
- Andrew J. Neis ( Stunt Coordinator, Television Director, Screenwriter, Actor, Film Editor and Cinematographer )
- Trevor Woodruff ( Actor )
- Geraldine Keams ( Actor )
- Mathew Seth Wilson ( Actor )
- Quinn Lee Lujan ( Actor )
- Kyle Steven Templin ( Actor )
- R. Carlos Nakai ( Musician and Flautist )
- Willard W. Willingham ( Actor, Screenwriter, Stunt Performer and Television producer )
- Bubba Ganter ( Actor )
- Marjorie Scardino ( Businessperson and Editor )
- Blake Woodruff ( Actor )
- Andy Devine ( Actor, Football player, Character Actor and Voice Actor )
- Henry L. Giclas ( Astronomer )
- Willard Reaves
- Donnie Hickman ( American football player )
- Lon Flexxe ( Pornographic actor )
- Eric McCain
- James Allen Isaacs Jr. ( Researcher )
- David Shafer
- Trent Bray ( Coach )
- Keith Brown ( Baseball player )
- Amanda Rose Smith ( Film Score Composer )
- Kyle Lobstein ( Baseball player )
- Clinton Wayne ( Makeup Artist and Special Makeup Effects Artist )
- Ray Polk ( American football player )
- Brad Kragthorpe
- Anneliese Vandenberg ( Film Director, Film Cinematographer and Film Producer )
- Jim Herrero
- Hayden Renning
- Amir Mirza Hekmati ( Translator )
The primary generating station near Flagstaff is the coal-fired, 995-MW Cholla Power Plant, near Holbrook, Arizona, which uses coal from the McKinley Mine in New Mexico.
There were about 124 foreclosures in Flagstaff in the year 2008 according to data from United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.
The unemployment rate of Flagstaff was 3.16% in the year 2008.
There were 19,355 households in Flagstaff in the year 2008 according to data from United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.
Flagstaff is included in the Phoenix Designated market area (DMA), the 13th largest in the U.S.
Flagstaff is also home to Arizona's first commercial solar power generating station, which was built in 1997 and provides 87 kW of electricity.
The major daily newspaper in Flagstaff is the Arizona Daily Sun.
Sample list of people who were the mayor of Flagstaff:
- Jerry Nabours ( Current Mayor, from 19 Jun 2012 )
The current mayor of Flagstaff is Jerry Nabours, who was elected in May 2012, and the current town council consists of the mayor and six councilmembers: Celia Barotz (vice mayor), Karla Brewster, Coral Evans, Jeff Oravits, Scott Overton and Mark Woodson.
Flagstaff is at the northern terminus of Interstate 17, which runs 145 miles (233 km) south to Phoenix.
Flagstaff's geo-coordinates are 35.1992° N, 111.6311° W.
The Arboretum at Flagstaff is a 200-acre (81 ha) arboretum featuring 2,500 species of drought-tolerant native plants representative of the high-desert region.
Sample list of films shot in Flagstaff:
- Casablanca ( starring Humphrey Bogart as Rick Blaine, Ingrid Bergman as Ilsa Lund Laszlo, Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo )
- American Anthem ( starring Janet Jones as Julie Lloyd, Michael Pataki as Coach Soranhoff, Patrice Donnelly as Danielle )
- The Bad Man of Brimstone ( starring Virginia Bruce, Lewis Stone, Wallace Beery )
- Bi the Way ( starring Jonathan Caouette, Austin Head, Ani DiFranco )
- Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure ( starring Keanu Reeves as Ted "Theodore" Logan, Alex Winter as Bill S. Preston, Esq., George Carlin as Rufus )
- Broken Arrow ( starring Christian Slater as Capt. Riley Hale, John Travolta as Maj. Vic 'Deak' Deakins, Samantha Mathis as Terry Carmichael )
- The Devil's Chair ( starring Matt Berry, Andrew Howard, Louise Griffiths )
- The Drum Beats Twice ( starring Robert Clohessy, Costas Mandylor, Susan Misner )
- Easy Rider ( starring Peter Fonda as Wyatt, Dennis Hopper as Billy, Jack Nicholson as George Hanson )
- Flying Tigers ( starring Anna Lee, John Carroll, John Wayne as Capt. Jim Gordon )
- Forrest Gump ( starring Tom Hanks as Forrest Gump, Robin Wright as Jenny Curran, Gary Sinise as Lieutenant Dan Taylor )
- The Gumball Rally ( starring Tim McIntire as Steve 'Smitty' Smith, J. Pat O'Malley as Barney Donahue, Norman Burton as Lieutenant Roscoe )
- The Hazing ( starring Brad Dourif as Professor Kapps, Parry Shen as Tim, Jeremy Maxwell as Roy )
- The Legend of the Boy and the Eagle ( starring Frank Dekova )
- Little Miss Sunshine ( starring Greg Kinnear as Richard Hoover, Toni Collette as Sheryl Hoover, Steve Carell as Frank Ginsburg )
- Midnight Run ( starring Robert De Niro as Jack Walsh, Charles Grodin as Jonathan Mardukas, Joe Pantoliano as Eddie Moscone )
- The Other Side of the Wind ( starring Peter Bogdanovich, Orson Welles, John Huston )
- Over the Top ( starring Sylvester Stallone as Lincoln Hawk, Robert Loggia, Susan Blakely )
- Raise Your Voice ( starring Hilary Duff as Teresa "Terri" Fletcher, Oliver James as Jay Corgan, David Keith as Simon Fletcher )
- Sasquatch Mountain ( starring Lance Henriksen, Cerina Vincent, Tim Thomerson )
- Two-Lane Blacktop ( starring James Taylor, Warren Oates, Dennis Wilson )
- Vacation ( starring Chevy Chase as Clark Griswold, Beverly D'Angelo as Ellen Griswold, Randy Quaid as Eddie Johnson )
- Virginia City ( starring Errol Flynn as Kerry Bradford, Miriam Hopkins, Randolph Scott as Vance Irby )
- What Would Jesus Buy?
- Yes ( starring Joan Allen as She, Simon Abkarian, Shirley Henderson )
- They Call Me Renegade ( starring Terence Hill as Luke, Robert Vaughn as Lawson, Norman Bowler as Moose )
- Dudes ( starring Lee Ving as Missoula, Jon Cryer as Grant, Daniel Roebuck as Biscuit )
At 7,000 feet (2,130 m) elevation, located adjacent to the largest contiguous Ponderosa Pine forest in North America, Flagstaff is located on a mountain surrounded by volcanoes, in the heart of the Coconino national forest.
Flagstaff is about 165.40 square kilometers with a population of 65,914 in the year 2011.