Minneapolis Fun Facts
The site of the Prospect Park Water Tower is often cited as the city's highest point and a placard in Deming Heights Park denotes the highest elevation, but a spot at 974 feet (297 m) in or near Waite Park in Northeast Minneapolis is corroborated by Google Earth as the highest ground.
Minneapolis has made it to the international round finals to host the Summer Olympic games three times, being beaten by London in 1948, Helsinki in 1952 (when the city finished in second place), and Melbourne in 1956.
There were 176,904 addresses in Minneapolis in the year 2008 according to data from United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.
Minneapolis is located in Minnesota, United States of America.
Sample list of famous people who were born in Minneapolis:
- Jesse Ventura ( Politician, Wrestler, Actor, Author, Talk show host, Sports commentator, Television producer and Storekeeper )
- Orville Freeman ( Politician )
- Gerald Vizenor ( Writer, Journalist, Novelist and Poet )
- Abigail Garner ( Writer )
- Donald M. Fraser ( Politician )
- Satveer Chaudhary ( Politician and Lawyer )
- Robert J. Ulrich ( Businessperson )
- Rebecca Jarvis ( Businessperson and Journalist )
- Rachael Leigh Cook ( Actor, Model, Voice Actor and Film Producer )
- Arlene Dahl ( Actor )
- Dorothy Lyman ( Television producer, Television Director, Actor, Film Producer and Film Director )
- Wayne Wilderson ( Comedian and Actor )
- T. R. Knight ( Actor )
- Breckin Meyer ( Actor, Screenwriter, Television producer, Drummer, Voice Actor and Comedian )
- June Lang ( Actor )
- Richard Dean Anderson ( Actor, Film Producer and Television producer )
- Kimberly Elise ( Actor )
- Melissa Peterman ( Producer, Actor and Comedian )
- Sofia Vassilieva ( Model and Actor )
- Mo Collins ( Comedian and Actor )
- Vincent Kartheiser ( Actor and Voice Actor )
- Vince Vaughn ( Actor, Comedian, Film Producer, Screenwriter and Television producer )
- James LeGros ( Actor )
- W. Harry Davis ( Politician )
- Ethan Erickson ( Actor, Presenter and Model )
- Jason Behr ( Actor )
- J. Paul Getty ( Businessperson and Industrialist )
- Robert D. Cabana ( Astronaut )
- Vicki Peters ( Nude Glamour Model and Actor )
- Joan Staley ( Actor )
- Jon Wefald
- Kai Brendlinger ( Nude Glamour Model )
- Mitch Clem ( Cartoonist and Visual Artist )
- Bud Wilkinson ( American football player and Coach )
- Franklin Van Valkenburgh
- George William Rud ( Sailor )
- Marcia McNutt
- Brady Bryant
- Joe Warren
- Floyd B. Olson ( Lawyer )
- Luther Youngdahl ( Judge )
- Ryan Hoag ( American football player )
- Larry Fitzgerald ( American football player )
- Derreck Robinson ( American football player )
- Volney Peters ( American football player )
- Ben Hamilton ( American football player )
- Rohn Stark ( American football player )
- Steve Zabel ( American football player )
- George Svendsen ( American football player )
- Jacky Lee ( American football player )
Minneapolis's official website is http://www.minneapolismn.gov/
Population of Minneapolis was 387,753 in the year 2011.
List of airports near Minneapolis:
- Minneapolis–Saint Paul International Airport
- Anoka County-Blaine Airport
- Crystal Airport
- Airlake Airport
As of 2013, the estimated population of the city of Minneapolis was 400,070.
Sample list of people who were the mayor of Minneapolis:
- Betsy Hodges ( Current Mayor, from 02 Jan 2014 )
- R. T. Rybak ( Mayor, from 01 Jan 2002 to 02 Jan 2014 )
The history and economic growth of Minneapolis are tied to water, the city's defining physical characteristic, which was brought to the region during the last ice age ten thousand years ago.
Minneapolis is in the Central Time Zone.
Minneapolis is divided into communities, each containing neighborhoods.
There were 162,382 households in Minneapolis in the year 2008 according to data from United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.
Minneapolis is about 151.26 square kilometers with a population of 387,753 in the year 2011.
There were about 5,494 foreclosures in Minneapolis in the year 2008 according to data from United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.
Minneapolis's geo-coordinates are 44.9833° N, 93.2667° W.
The Twin Cities ranked the country's second best city in a 2006 Kiplinger's poll of Smart Places to Live and Minneapolis was one of the Seven Cool Cities for young professionals.
Minneapolis (i / ˌ m ɪ n i ˈ æ p ə l ɪ s / ), officially the City of Minneapolis, is the county seat of Hennepin County, the largest city in the U.S. state of Minnesota, and the 46th-largest in the United States. As of 2013, the estimated population of the city of Minneapolis was 400,070. Minneapolis lies on both banks of the Mississippi River, just north of the river's confluence with the Minnesota River, and adjoins Saint Paul, the state's capital. Known as the Twin Cities, Minneapolis–Saint Paul is the 14th-largest metropolitan area in the U.S., with the area containing approximately 3.8 million residents.
Sample list of famous events happened in Minneapolis:
- NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Tournament
- Minneapolis Thanksgiving Day fire
- NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Tournament - Mideast Regional Semifinals
- OOPSLA 2000
- Illinois-Syracuse 1989 NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Tournament Game
- I-35W Bridge disaster
- World Short Track Speed Skating Championships
- Republican National Convention
- Newbery-Caldecott-Wilder Awards
A center for printing and publishing, Minneapolis was the city in which Open Book, the largest literary and book arts center in the U.S., was founded.
Sample list of newspapers published in Minneapolis:
- Star Tribune
- Minnesota Daily
- Arbeitets Ridder
Sample list of tourist attractions in Minneapolis:
- Walker Art Center
- Weisman Art Museum
- American Swedish Institute
- Bunker Beach
- Minneapolis Institute of Arts
- Minneapolis Sculpture Garden
- Northrop Auditorium
- The Bakken
- Bell Museum of Natural History
- Minnesota Streetcar Museum
- Rock the Garden
- Minneapolis Aquatennial
The unemployment rate of Minneapolis was 5.34% in the year 2008.
The first Jewish congregation in Minneapolis was formed in 1878 as Shaarai Tov (though it has been known since 1920 as Temple Israel); in 1928, it built the synagogue in East Isles.
There were about 92,982 mortgages in Minneapolis in the year 2008 according to data from United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.
List of sports teams from Minneapolis:
- Minnesota Twins ( Baseball )
- Minnesota Vikings ( American football )
- Minnesota Timberwolves ( Basketball )
- Minnesota Golden Gophers men's basketball ( Basketball )
- Minnesota Lynx ( Basketball )
Tuesday August 19, 2014