Omaha Fun Facts
There were 170,633 addresses in Omaha in the year 2008 according to data from United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.
Sample list of people who were the mayor of Omaha:
- Jean Stothert ( Current Mayor, from 10 Jun 2013 )
- Jim Suttle ( Mayor, from 08 Jun 2009 to 10 Jun 2013 )
Today, the primary mode of transportation in Omaha is by automobile, with I-80, I-480, I-680, I-29, and U.S.
The unemployment rate of Omaha was 3.82% in the year 2008.
Omaha is located in Douglas County, Nebraska, United States of America.
In 2006, Omaha was ranked for homicides as 46th out of the 72 cities in the United States of more than 250,000 in population.
There are approximately 8,500 Sudanese living in Omaha, comprising the largest population of Sudanese refugees in the United States.
By the middle of the 20th century, Omaha was served by almost every major railroad.
There were about 83,876 mortgages in Omaha in the year 2008 according to data from United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.
The passage of the Kansas–Nebraska Act in 1854 was presaged by the staking out of claims around the area to become Omaha by residents from neighboring Council Bluffs.
There were 157,064 households in Omaha in the year 2008 according to data from United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.
Population of Omaha was 415,068 in the year 2011.
List of airports near Omaha:
- Eppley Airfield
- Millard Airport
- North Omaha Airport
- Offutt Air Force Base
The city of Omaha was established by European Americans from neighboring Council Bluffs who arrived from the Northeast United States a few years earlier.
The modern economy of Omaha is diverse and built on skilled knowledge jobs.
Omaha is in the Central Time Zone.
There are more than 10 other colleges and universities in Omaha in the Omaha metro area.
Situated in the Midwestern United States on the bank of the Missouri River in eastern Nebraska, much of Omaha is built in the Missouri River Valley.
There were about 3,762 foreclosures in Omaha in the year 2008 according to data from United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.
Sample list of famous events happened in Omaha:
- NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Tournament
- College World Series
- Westroads Mall shooting
Omaha is laid out on a grid plan, with 12 blocks to the mile with a North to South house numbering system.
Omaha is about 338.20 square kilometers with a population of 415,068 in the year 2011.
A major riot by ethnic whites in South Omaha destroyed the city's Greek Town in 1909, completely driving out the Greek population.
Omaha's geo-coordinates are 41.25° N, 96° W.
There are nearly 1.3 million residents within a 50-mile (80-km) radius of the city's center, forming the Greater Omaha area.
Sample list of newspapers published in Omaha:
- Omaha World-Herald
- Omaha Bee
- The Onion
Omaha's official website is http://www.ci.omaha.ne.us/
The Omaha Lancers, a United States Hockey League team that played at Aksarben until 2004, moved to neighboring city of Council Bluffs at the Mid-America Center, and moved back to Omaha in 2009 to play at the Civic Auditorium The University of Nebraska at Omaha Mavericks, is an NCAA Division I team that plays at the CenturyLink Center.
Omaha is generally divided into six geographic areas: Downtown, Midtown, North Omaha, South Omaha, West Omaha, and East Omaha.
List of sports teams from Omaha:
- Creighton Bluejays men's basketball ( Basketball )
The omaha is located in the Midwestern United States on the Missouri River, about 10 miles (16 km) north of the mouth of the Platte River.
Sample list of famous people who were born in Omaha:
- David Doyle ( Actor and Voice Actor )
- Harley Rutledge ( Physicist and Ufologists )
- Ernie Chambers ( Politician and Barber )
- Susan Buffett ( Singer, Businessperson and Social activist )
- Nicholas Sparks ( Writer, Screenwriter, Novelist and Film Producer )
- Lee Terry ( Lawyer and Politician )
- Charlie Munger ( Entrepreneur and Businessperson )
- Craig Anton ( Comedian, Actor, Voice Actor, Professor and Screenwriter )
- Jorge Garcia ( Actor and Comedian )
- Fred Astaire ( Singer, Actor, Film Producer, Choreographer, Percussionist, Dancer and Musician )
- Hallee Hirsh ( Actor )
- Dorothy McGuire ( Actor )
- Gabrielle Union ( Actor, Model, Advocate and Voice Actor )
- Bob Wiltfong ( Comedian, Actor and Journalist )
- Swoosie Kurtz ( Actor )
- Jaime King ( Model, Actor, Screenwriter and Film Director )
- Marlon Brando ( Actor )
- Montgomery Clift ( Actor )
- Michael Ivins ( Musician, Bassist and Actor )
- Terry Goodkind ( Novelist, Writer and Author )
- Robert Reed ( Writer, Author and Novelist )
- Richard Dooling ( Screenwriter, Writer, Novelist and Lawyer )
- Gerald Ford ( Lawyer, American football player and Politician )
- Warren Buffett ( Investor, Entrepreneur, Businessperson and Financier )
- Nick Nolte ( Actor, Comedian, Voice Actor and Model )
- Clayton Anderson ( Engineer, Astronaut and Flight engineer )
- Charlotte Kemp ( Nude Glamour Model and Actor )
- Leisa Sheridan ( Nude Glamour Model and Actor )
- Bob Gibson ( Baseball player )
- Jarvis Offutt ( Pilot )
- Brian McFayden ( Presenter )
- John A. Collett
- Jason Kreis ( Coach and Football player )
- Ahman Green ( American football player )
- Dave Rimington ( American football player )
- Joe Toledo ( American football player )
- Johnny Rodgers ( American football player )
- Chris Bober ( American football player )
- Titus Adams ( American football player )
- Ryan Krause ( American football player )
- Mort Kaer ( American football player )
- Eric Crouch ( American football player and Sports analyst )
- Rachel Hulstein-Lowe ( Social Worker )
- Jim Fields ( Film Director )
- Doug Struyk
- Ryan Junge
- Robert John Hibbs
- James W. Fous
- Sono Osato ( Ballet Dancer )
- Mark Richt ( American football player, American Football coach and Coach )
Sample list of tourist attractions in Omaha:
- Durham Museum
- Sokol Auditorium
- Joslyn Castle
- Union Station
- Joslyn Art Museum
- Bemis Center for Contemporary Arts
- Heartland of America Park
- Omaha Children's Museum
- Gene Leahy Mall
- Lauritzen Gardens
- Holland Performing Arts Center
- Henry Doorly Zoo and Aquarium
- Creighton Orpheum Theater
- The Amazing Pizza Machine