Chicago Fun Facts
The City of Chicago was incorporated on Saturday, March 4, 1837 and went on to become the fastest growing city in the world for several decades.
Sample list of tourist attractions in Chicago:
- Wrigley Field
- Willis Tower
- Lincoln Park Zoo
- Field Museum of Natural History
- Shedd Aquarium
- DuSable Museum of African American History
- John Hancock Center
- Polish Museum of America
- National Museum of Mexican Art
- Gilmore Car Museum
- Art Institute of Chicago Building
- Art Institute of Chicago
- Hyde Park Art Center
- Navy Pier
- Adler Planetarium
- Museum of Science and Industry
- Chicago Cultural Center
- Brookfield Zoo
- Chicago Riverwalk
- Riis Park
- Muslim Community Center
Chicago was named the "Best Sports City" in the United States by the Sporting News in 1993, 2006, and 2010.
Sample list of famous people who were born in Chicago:
- Preston Sturges ( Screenwriter, Film Director, Film Producer, Playwright and Actor )
- Frank Norris ( Writer, Journalist and Novelist )
- Jon Schwartz ( Drummer, Online producer and Actor )
- Allan Sherman ( Songwriter, Comedian, Singer, Television producer, Actor and Screenwriter )
- Sam Giancana ( Mafioso, Gangster, Businessperson, Boss and Racketeering )
- Mitzi Gaynor ( Singer and Actor )
- Seymour Hersh ( Journalist, Writer and Author )
- Garry Shandling ( Comedian, Talk show host, Actor, Screenwriter, Television producer and Voice Actor )
- Shel Silverstein ( Writer, Poet, Screenwriter, Cartoonist, Playwright and Singer-songwriter )
- William Wrigley III ( Businessperson )
- Michael Wilbon ( Writer, Presenter, Commentator, Journalist and Actor )
- Raymond Chandler ( Writer, Novelist, Screenwriter and Author )
- Joan Higginbotham ( Engineer and Astronaut )
- Neil Woodward ( Astronaut )
- Ken Mattingly ( Engineer and Astronaut )
- Charles L. Veach ( Fighter pilot and Astronaut )
- James McDivitt ( Astronaut and Executive officer )
- Terri Lynn Doss ( Nude Glamour Model and Actor )
- Christina Santiago ( Nude Glamour Model and Actor )
- Serria Tawan ( Nude Glamour Model and Actor )
- Marianne Gaba ( Nude Glamour Model and Actor )
- Nicole Narain ( Actor and Pornographic actor )
- Michael Peña ( Actor, Musician and Voice Actor )
- Philip K. Dick ( Writer, Novelist and Essayist )
- Justin Hall ( Journalist )
- Patti Reynolds ( Nude Glamour Model )
- Melodye Prentiss ( Nude Glamour Model )
- Joan Bennett ( Nude Glamour Model )
- Laurie Fetter ( Nude Glamour Model )
- Avis Kimble ( Nude Glamour Model )
- Carol Imhof ( Nude Glamour Model )
- Joni Mattis ( Nude Glamour Model )
- Leslie Bianchini ( Nude Glamour Model )
- Kim Farber ( Nude Glamour Model )
- Dianne Danford ( Nude Glamour Model )
- Jennifer Jackson ( Nude Glamour Model )
- Gloria Root ( Nude Glamour Model )
- Ernst Bacon
- Maria Shriver ( Journalist, Author, Television producer, Voice Actor, Screenwriter and Newscaster )
- Ron Grzywinski ( Banker )
- Gustav Anders Hemwall ( Physician )
- Emmett Till
- Billy Evans ( Baseball Umpire )
- J. Allen Hynek ( Astronomer, Astrophysicist, s and Ufologist )
- Harold W. Burtness
- Patrick H. Joyce
- Louis Fratto
- Joseph W. Tkach
- Timothy J. Tobias ( Jazz Pianist )
- Osborne Theomun Olsen
The chicago is owned by Michael J Alter (principal owner) and Margaret Stender (minority owner).
During its rebuilding period, Chicago constructed the world's first skyscraper in 1885, using steel-skeleton construction.
The challenge for early writers was that Chicago was a frontier outpost that transformed into a global metropolis in the span of two generations.
There were about 555,692 mortgages in Chicago in the year 2008 according to data from United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.
The Lithuanian Opera Company of Chicago was founded by Lithuanian Chicagoans in 1956, and presents operas in Lithuanian.
The chief advocate and driving force for improving public health in Chicago was Dr.
The unemployment rate of Chicago was 8.16% in the year 2008.
In 2012, Chicago was listed as an alpha global city by the Globalization and World Cities Research Network, and ranks seventh in the world in the 2014 Global Cities Index.
Chicago is in the Central Time Zone.
Sample list of films shot in Chicago:
- My Best Friend's Wedding ( starring Julia Roberts as Julianne Potter, Dermot Mulroney as Michael O'Neal, Cameron Diaz as Kimberly Wallace )
- Endless Love ( starring Brooke Shields as Jade Butterfield, Martin Hewitt as David Axelrod, Jami Gertz as Patty )
- The Sting ( starring Paul Newman as Henry Gondorff, Robert Redford as Johnny Hooker, Robert Shaw as Lonnegan )
- Music and Lyrics ( starring Hugh Grant as Alex Fletcher, Drew Barrymore as Sophie Fisher, Brad Garrett as Chris Riley )
- The Blues Brothers ( starring John Belushi as 'Joliet' Jake Blues, Dan Aykroyd as Elwood Blues, Carrie Fisher as Mystery Woman )
- Stranger than Fiction ( starring Will Ferrell as Harold Crick, Emma Thompson as Karen Eiffel, Dustin Hoffman as Professor Jules Hilbert )
- Adventures in Babysitting ( starring Elisabeth Shue as Chris Parker, Keith Coogan as Brad Anderson, Anthony Rapp as Daryl Coopersmith )
- The Break-Up ( starring Vince Vaughn as Gary Grobowski, Jennifer Aniston as Brooke Meyers, Joey Lauren Adams as Addie )
- Save the Last Dance ( starring Julia Stiles as Sara, Sean Patrick Thomas as Derek, Kerry Washington as Chenille )
- Sixteen Candles ( starring Molly Ringwald as Samantha Baker, Paul Dooley as Jim Baker, Justin Henry as Mike Baker )
- High Fidelity ( starring Joelle Carter as Penny Hardwick, Joan Cusack as Liz, Lili Taylor as Sarah Kendrew )
- The Negotiator ( starring Samuel L. Jackson as Danny Roman, Kevin Spacey as Chris Sabian, David Morse as Adam Beck )
- Chicago ( starring Renée Zellweger as Roxie Hart, Catherine Zeta-Jones as Velma Kelly, Richard Gere as Billy Flynn )
- The Breakfast Club ( starring Emilio Estevez as Andrew Clark, Paul Gleason as Richard Vernon, Anthony Michael Hall as Brian Johnson )
- Ferris Bueller's Day Off ( starring Matthew Broderick as Ferris Bueller, Alan Ruck as Cameron Frye, Mia Sara as Sloane Peterson )
- Road to Perdition ( starring Tom Hanks as Michael Sullivan, Tyler Hoechlin as Michael Sullivan Jr., Paul Newman as John Rooney )
- Ordinary People ( starring Donald Sutherland as Calvin, Mary Tyler Moore as Beth Jarrett, Timothy Hutton as Conrad )
- Flatliners ( starring Kiefer Sutherland as Nelson, Julia Roberts as Dr. Rachel Mannus, Kevin Bacon as David Labraccio )
- Chain Reaction ( starring Keanu Reeves as Eddie Kasalivich, Rachel Weisz as Dr. Lily Sinclair, Fred Ward as FBI Agent Leon Ford )
- Pretty in Pink ( starring Molly Ringwald as Andie Walsh, Harry Dean Stanton as Jack Walsh, Jon Cryer as Duckie Dale )
- Weird Science ( starring Anthony Michael Hall as Gary Wallace, Kelly LeBrock as Lisa, Ilan Mitchell-Smith as Wyatt Donnelly )
- Home Alone ( starring Macaulay Culkin as Kevin McCallister, Joe Pesci as Harry Lime, Catherine O'Hara as Kate McCallister )
- My Big Fat Greek Wedding ( starring Nia Vardalos as Toula Portokalos, John Corbett as Ian Miller, Lainie Kazan as Maria Portokalos )
- The Architect ( starring Sebastian Stan as Martin Waters, Isabella Rossellini as Julia Waters, Anthony LaPaglia as Leo Waters )
- Barbershop ( starring Ice Cube as Calvin Palmer, Anthony Anderson as J.D., Eve as Terri Jones )
- Soul Food ( starring Brandon Hammond as Ahmad, Michael Beach as Miles, Nia Long as Bird )
- Candyman ( starring Virginia Madsen as Helen Lyle, Tony Todd as Candyman, Xander Berkeley as Trevor Lyle )
- Hoop Dreams
- Stir of Echoes ( starring Kevin Bacon as Tom Witzky, Kathryn Erbe as Maggie Witzky, Zachary David Cope as Jake Witzky )
- The Fugitive ( starring Henry Fonda, Dolores del Río, Mel Ferrer )
- Thief ( starring James Caan as Frank, Tuesday Weld as Jessie, Jim Belushi )
- The Dark Knight ( starring Michael Caine as Alfred J. Pennyworth, Gary Oldman as James Gordon, Aaron Eckhart as Two-Face )
- Father Knows... ( starring Cort Donovan, Luke Aulwurm, Larry Filas )
- Koyaanisqatsi ( starring Lou Dobbs )
- About Last Night... ( starring Elizabeth Perkins as Joan, Rob Lowe as Danny Martin, Demi Moore as Debbie Sullivan )
- The Amityville Horror ( starring Ryan Reynolds as George Lutz, Melissa George as Kathy Lutz, Philip Baker Hall as Father Callaway )
- The Babe ( starring Kelly McGillis as Claire Hodgson Ruth, John Goodman as George Herman 'Babe' Ruth, Trini Alvarado as Helen Woodford Ruth )
- Backdraft ( starring William Baldwin as Brian McCaffrey, Robert De Niro as Donald 'Shadow' Rimgale, Kurt Russell as Stephen McCaffrey )
- Bad Boys ( starring Sean Penn as Mick O'Brien, Esai Morales as Paco Moreno, Clancy Brown as Viking Lofgren )
- Barbershop 2: Back in Business ( starring Eve as Terri Jones, Ice Cube as Calvin Palmer, Sean Patrick Thomas as Jimmy James )
- Batman Begins ( starring Michael Caine as Alfred J. Pennyworth, Liam Neeson as Henri Ducard, Katie Holmes as Rachel Dawes )
- Blankman ( starring Damon Wayans as Darryl Walker, David Alan Grier as Kevin Walker, Robin Givens as Kimberly Jonz )
- Blue Steel ( starring Louise Fletcher as Shirley Turner, Ron Silver as Eugene Hunt, Clancy Brown as Nick Mann )
- Blues Brothers 2000 ( starring Dan Aykroyd as Elwood Blues, John Goodman as Mighty Mack McTeer, Joe Morton as Cabel Chamberlain )
- Bowser Makes A Movie ( starring Mimi Marks, Peter Marinelli, Brian Campbell )
- Brannigan ( starring John Wayne as Lt. Brannigan, Richard Attenborough as Cmdr. Swann, Judy Geeson as Jennifer )
- Call Northside 777 ( starring James Stewart as P.J. 'Jim' McNeal, Richard Conte, Lee J. Cobb )
- Chicago Overcoat ( starring Stacy Keach, Armand Assante, Frank Vincent )
- Class ( starring Andrew McCarthy as Jonathan, Cliff Robertson as Mr. Burroughs, Rob Lowe as Skip )
- The Color of Money ( starring Paul Newman as Eddie Felson, Tom Cruise as Vincent Lauria, Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio as Carmen )
There were 1,012,103 addresses in Chicago in the year 2008 according to data from United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.
As of the 2010 census, there were 2,695,598 people with 1,045,560 households living in Chicago.
In 1795, following the Northwest Indian War, an area that was to be part of Chicago was turned over to the United States for a military post by native tribes in accordance with the Treaty of Greenville.
Here are average temperatures and rainfall of Chicago by month ( based on last 5 years ) :
|Min Temp (°C)||Max Temp (°C)||Rainfall (mm)|
Chicago's geo-coordinates are 41.8819° N, 87.6278° W.
The government of the City of Chicago is divided into executive and legislative branches.
There were 1,061,964 households in Chicago in the year 2008 according to data from United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.
You can get to Chicago by air, train and/or bus:
- You can take a plane and go to:
- Chicago Midway International Airport
- O'Hare International Airport
- You can take a train and go to:
- Chicago Union Station
- Ogilvie Transportation Center
- You can take a bus and go to:
- Chicago Union Station
- 630 W. Harrison St.
On August 12, 1833, the Town of Chicago was organized with a population of around 200.
Chicago is served by O'Hare International Airport, the world's second busiest airport, on the far Northwest Side, and Midway International Airport on the Southwest Side.
The Mayor of Chicago is the chief executive, elected by general election for a term of four years, with no term limits.
Population of Chicago was 2,707,120 in the year 2011.
Chicago is located in northeastern Illinois on the southwestern shores of Lake Michigan.
Chicago was named the fourth most important business center in the world in the MasterCard Worldwide Centers of Commerce Index.
When Chicago was incorporated in 1837, it chose the motto Urbs in Horto, a Latin phrase which translates into English as "City in a Garden".
Sample list of newspapers published in Chicago:
- Chicago Flame
- Chicago Record
- Chicago Tribune
- Chicago Sun-Times
- The A.V. Club
- Chicago Reader
- Chicago Daily News
- Chicago Defender
- Windy City Times
- The Chicago Maroon
- American Medical News
- The Booze News
- Urdu Times
- The Heckler
- South Side Weekly
- Loyola Phoenix
- Creative Loafing Tampa
- The Independent
- The Onion
- Dziennik Związkowy
- Red Streak
- Southwest News-Herald (Chicago)
- The Alarm
- Crain's Chicago Business
Chicago's official website is http://www.cityofchicago.org/
Chicago was incorporated as a city in 1837, near a portage between the Great Lakes and the Mississippi River watershed, and experienced rapid growth in the mid-nineteenth century.
Late in the 19th century, Chicago was part of the bicycle craze, as home to Western Wheel Company, which introduced stamping to the production process and significantly reduced costs, while early in the 20th century, the city was part of the automobile revolution, hosting the Brass Era car builder Bugmobile, which was founded there in 1907.
The University of Chicago was founded in 1892 on the same South Side location.
Sample list of books written and focused on Chicago:
- "Windy City: A Novel of Politics"
- "Jack Gance"
- "An Unfinished Season"
- "To Serve and Collect: Chicago Politics and Police Corruption from the Lager Beer Riot to the Summerdale Scandal, 1855-1960"
- "Then We Came to the End"
- "For the Thrill of It: Leopold, Loeb, and the Murder That Shocked Chicago"
- "Chicago under Glass: Early Photographs from the Chicago Daily News"
- "My Friend Leonard"
- "Sister Carrie"
- "The Pit: A Story of Chicago"
- "Native Son"
- "The Chicago Way"
- "American Pharaoh: Mayor Richard J. Daley- His Battle for Chicago and the Nation"
- "Encyclopedia of Chicago"
Sample list of fictional characters born in Chicago:
- Edward Cullen ( from "Twilight" )
- Lenny Leonard ( from "The Simpsons" )
Chicago is located in Chicago metropolitan area, Illinois, United States of America.
Sample list of people who were the mayor of Chicago:
- Rahm Emanuel ( Current Mayor, from 16 May 2011 )
- Richard M. Daley ( Mayor, from 24 Apr 1989 to 16 May 2011 )
- Eugene Sawyer ( Mayor, from 02 Dec 1987 to 24 Apr 1989 )
- David Orr ( Mayor, from 25 Nov 1987 to 02 Dec 1987 )
- Harold Washington ( Mayor, from 29 Apr 1983 to 25 Nov 1987 )
- Jane Byrne ( Mayor, from 16 Apr 1979 to 29 Apr 1983 )
- Michael Anthony Bilandic ( Mayor, from Jun 1977 to Apr 1979 )
- Michael Anthony Bilandic ( Acting Mayor, from Dec 1976 to Jun 1977 )
- Richard J. Daley ( Mayor, from 20 Apr 1955 to 20 Dec 1976 )
- Martin H. Kennelly ( Mayor, from 1947 to 1955 )
- Edward Joseph Kelly ( Mayor, from 1933 to 1947 )
- Frank J. Corr ( Acting Mayor, from 15 Mar 1933 to 08 Apr 1933 )
- Anton Cermak ( Mayor, from 1931 to 1933 )
- William Hale Thompson ( Mayor, from 1927 to 1931 )
- William Emmett Dever ( Mayor, from 1923 to 1927 )
- Carter Harrison, Jr. ( Mayor, from 1911 to 1915 )
- Fred A. Busse ( Mayor, from 1907 to 1911 )
- Edward Fitzsimmons Dunne ( Mayor, from 1905 to 1907 )
- Carter Harrison, Jr. ( Mayor, from 1897 to 1905 )
- George Bell Swift ( Mayor, from 1895 to 1897 )
- Carter Harrison, Sr. ( Mayor, from 1893 to 1893 )
- Hempstead Washburne ( Mayor, from 1891 to 1893 )
- DeWitt Clinton Cregier ( Mayor, from 1889 to 1891 )
- John A. Roche ( Mayor, from 1887 to 1889 )
- Carter Harrison, Sr. ( Mayor, from 1879 to 1887 )
- Monroe Heath ( Mayor, from 1876 to 1879 )
- John Blake Rice ( Mayor, from 1865 to 1869 )
- Walter S. Gurnee ( Mayor, from 1851 to 1853 )
- Benjamin Wright Raymond ( Mayor, from 1839 to 1840 )
- Buckner Stith Morris ( Mayor, from 1838 to 1839 )
- William B. Ogden ( Mayor, from 1837 to 1838 )
There were about 35,691 foreclosures in Chicago in the year 2008 according to data from United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.
List of sports teams from Chicago:
- Chicago Cubs ( Baseball )
- Chicago White Sox ( Baseball )
- Chicago Bears ( American football )
- Chicago Bulls ( Basketball )
- Chicago Blackhawks ( Ice Hockey )
- Chicago Cougars
- Machine ( Ultimate )
- Chicago Shamrox ( Lacrosse )
- DePaul Blue Demons men's basketball ( Basketball )
- Loyola Ramblers men's basketball ( Basketball )
- UIC Flames men's basketball ( Basketball )
Chicago is about 606.10 square kilometers with a population of 2,707,120 in the year 2011.
Sample list of famous events happened in Chicago:
- Battle of Fort Dearborn
- Great Chicago Fire
- NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Tournament
- Bassmaster Classic
- International Mr Leather 1979
- Wingfoot Air Express crash
- Memorial Day massacre of 1937
- NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Tournament- Midwest Regional Quarterfinals
- Chicago commuter rail crash
- NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Tournament- East Regional Second Round
- Lager Beer Riot
- DePaul-Air Force 1960 NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Tournament Game
- Volleyball at the 1959 Pan American Games
- Saint Valentine's Day Massacre
- Gay Games
- World's Columbian Exposition
- Century of Progress
- Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear
- Republican National Convention
- Chicago Marathon
- Electric Daisy Carnival
- Chicago Flashback Weekend Horror Convention
- Nebula Awards
- Death of Hadiya Pendleton
- Newbery-Caldecott Awards
As of 2002, severe freight train congestion caused trains to take as long to get through the Chicago region as it took to get there from the West Coast of the country (about 2 days).
List of airports near Chicago:
- Chicago Midway International Airport
- Gary/Chicago International Airport
- O'Hare International Airport
- Chicago Executive Airport
- Lewis University Airport
- Aurora Municipal Airport
- Schaumburg Regional Airport
- Lansing Municipal Airport
- Waukegan Regional Airport
List of Chicago's nicknames:
- The Windy City
- The City That Works
- The City With Broad Shoulders
When Chicago was founded in 1833, most of the early building began around the mouth of the Chicago River, as can be seen on a map of the city's original 58 blocks.
Friday December 04, 2015