Paterson Fun Facts
Paterson is about 22.54 square kilometers with a population of 146,427 in the year 2011.
Paterson was originally formed as a township from portions of Acquackanonk Township on April 11, 1831, while the area was still part of Essex County.
Sample list of famous events happened in Paterson:
- Paterson silk strike
Downtown Paterson is the main commercial district of the city and was once a shopping destination for many who lived in northern New Jersey.
The paterson was operated from 1855 to 1864 by abolitionists William Van Rensalier, a black engineer, and Josiah Huntoon, a white industrialist.
The unemployment rate of Paterson was 10.34% in the year 2008.
Paterson's official website is http://www.patersonnj.gov/
There were about 2,274 foreclosures in Paterson in the year 2008 according to data from United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.
The Lakeview section of Paterson is located in the city's 6th Ward.
The Manor section of Paterson is located in the city's 3rd Ward.
The City of Paterson is served by a professional police department.
By road, Paterson is served directly by Interstate 80, as well as State Routes 4, 19, and 20.
As of March 23, 2011, there were a total of 68,324 registered voters in Paterson, of which 27,926 (40.9% vs.
Sample list of famous people who were born in Paterson:
- Alice White ( Actor, Singer and Secretary )
- Frederick Reines ( Physicist and Scientist )
- Adeva ( Singer )
- Sue Ane Langdon ( Actor )
- Frankie Ruiz ( Singer )
- Jeff Chase ( Actor, Football player and Stunt Performer )
- Susan Misner ( Actor and Dancer )
- Patricia Gerard ( Politician )
- Mindy Sterling ( Actor and Voice Actor )
- Jimmie Adams ( Actor )
- Michael Jace ( Actor )
- Jeffrey Bewkes ( Businessperson )
- Jillian Armenante ( Actor and Playwright )
- Floyd Vivino ( Actor, Screenwriter and Television producer )
- Robert Torricelli ( Politician and Lawyer )
- Bill Pascrell, Jr. ( Politician )
- Patrick Warburton ( Actor, Voice Actor, Model and Film Producer )
- Frank Lautenberg ( Politician, Businessperson and Author )
- Samuel P. Colt ( Entrepreneur and Businessperson )
- Thaddeus Golas ( Writer )
- J. Michael Straczynski ( Journalist, Cartoonist, Science-fiction writer, Author, Novelist, Television producer, Film Producer, Screenwriter and Actor )
- Lou Costello ( Comedian, Actor, Film Producer, Vaudeville Performer, Singer and Businessperson )
- Elizabeth Vargas ( Journalist, TV Journalist, Actor, Screenwriter and Newscaster )
- Kathryn D. Sullivan ( Geologist and Astronaut )
- Mark L. Polansky ( Pilot and Astronaut )
- Charles Samuel Joelson ( Lawyer )
- William H. Thompkins
- George H. Wanton
- Jemal Johnson ( Football player )
- Mark Brown
- Mike Adams ( American football player )
- Keith Hamilton ( American football player )
- Gerald Hayes ( American football player )
- Marcel Shipp ( American football player )
- Anthony Davis ( American football player )
- Arthur Lenk ( Lawyer )
- Kazbek Tambi ( Coach )
- Darryl Watkins ( Basketball player )
- DeShaun Williams
- Amos H. Radcliffe
- Bob Enyart ( Talk show host and Pastor )
- James A. Williams
- Tim Thomas ( Basketball player )
- William Spoelhof
- Bob Delaney ( Police officer, Basketball Official and Referee )
- Kendall Holt ( Professional Boxer )
- Gerald Ash ( Scientist, Engineer and Electrical engineer )
- Randy Edelman ( Conductor, Film Score and Composer )
- Maxwell Shane ( Screenwriter, Film Director, Television producer and Television Director )
- Rocco Silano ( Author, Magician and Teacher )
Paterson was named for William Paterson, statesman, signer of the Constitution and Governor of New Jersey who signed the 1792 charter that established the Town of Paterson.
Paterson is located at 40°54′53″N 74°09′46″W / 40.914746°N 74.162826°W / 40.914746; -74.162826 (40.914746,-74.162826).
Paterson was incorporated as a city on April 14, 1851, based on the results of a referendum held that day.
The Sandy Hill section of Paterson is located in the city's 5th Ward.
The Paterson Museum, located in the Great Falls Historic District, was founded in 1925 and is owned and operated by the city of Paterson.
Sample list of people who were the mayor of Paterson:
- Jeffery Jones ( Current Mayor, from 01 Jul 2010 )
The industries developed in Paterson were powered by the 77-foot high Great Falls, and a system of water raceways that harnessed the power of the falls, providing the power for the mills in the area until 1914 and fostering the growth of the city around the mills.
There were 43,264 addresses in Paterson in the year 2008 according to data from United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.
Paterson is located in Passaic County, New Jersey.
Sample list of tourist attractions in Paterson:
- Lambert Castle
The Stoney Road section of Paterson is located in the city's 2nd Ward.
There were 44,760 households in Paterson in the year 2008 according to data from United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.
The Northside section of Paterson is located in the city's 1st Ward.
There were about 22,555 mortgages in Paterson in the year 2008 according to data from United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.
Paterson's geo-coordinates are 40.9147° N, 74.1628° W.
Population of Paterson was 146,427 in the year 2011.
The Hillcrest section of Paterson is located in the city's 2nd Ward.