Norwalk Fun Facts
Founded in the late 19th century, Norwalk was incorporated as a city in 1957.
Norwalk is served by the Norwalk-La Mirada Unified School District, headquartered at 12820 Pioneer Blvd., Norwalk, CA 90650 as well as the Little Lake City School District, headquartered in Santa Fe Springs.
Norwalk's geo-coordinates are 33.9069° N, 118.0833° W.
There were 28,079 addresses in Norwalk in the year 2008 according to data from United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.
Norwalk is about 25.24 square kilometers with a population of 106,309 in the year 2011.
Population of Norwalk was 106,309 in the year 2011.
There were about 18,783 mortgages in Norwalk in the year 2008 according to data from United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.
The norwalk is located 17 miles (27 km) southeast of downtown Los Angeles and is part of the Greater Los Angeles area.
The racial makeup of Norwalk was 52,089 (49.4%) White (12.3% Non-Hispanic White), 4,593 (4.4%) African American, 1,213 (1.1%) Native American, 12,700 (12.0%) Asian (5.3% Filipino, 2.5% Korean, 0.9% Chinese, 0.8% Indian, 0.8% Vietnamese, 0.6% Cambodian, 0.3% Thai, 0.3% Japanese), 431 (0.4%) Pacific Islander, 29,954 (28.4%) from other races, and 4,569 (4.3%) from two or more races.
Norwalk's official website is http://www.ci.norwalk.ca.us/
Certain areas of Norwalk are served by the ABC Unified School District, based in Cerritos and others by the Whittier Union High School District.
Federally, Norwalk is located in California's 38th congressional district, which has a Cook PVI of D +20 and is represented by Democrat Linda Sanchez.
The unemployment rate of Norwalk was 7.48% in the year 2008.
What are known as the "first families" to Norwalk (including the Sprouls, the Dewitts, the Settles, and the Orrs) settled in the area in the years before 1900.
Norwalk is located in Los Angeles County, California, United States of America.
There were about 1,418 foreclosures in Norwalk in the year 2008 according to data from United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.
Norwalk is in the Pacific Time Zone.
There were 26,930 households in Norwalk in the year 2008 according to data from United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.
Hispanic or Latino of any race were 74,041 persons (70.1%); 60.0% of Norwalk is Mexican, 2.7% Salvadoran, 1.3% Guatemalan, 0.6% Nicaraguan, 0.5% Puerto Rican, 0.4% Cuban, 0.4% Peruvian, 0.3% Honduran, 0.3% Ecuadorian, and 0.3% Colombian.
Sample list of famous people who were born in Norwalk:
- Doug TenNapel ( Animator, Screenwriter, Television producer, Musician, Artist, Writer, Television Director and Essayist )
- Cristina Valenzuela ( Voice Actor, Singer and ADR Director )
- Gene Taylor ( Musician and Actor )
- Tiffany ( Actor, -songwriter and Singer )
- Nikki Ziering ( Nude Glamour Model, Model and Actor )
- Dona Speir ( Nude Glamour Model, Model, Actor and Pornographic actor )
- Ruth Asawa ( Sculptor )
- Don Eck
- Dan Wickline
- Andy Patterson ( Professional Road Racing Cyclist )
- Jim Parque ( Baseball player )
- Keith Ginter ( Baseball player )
- Larry See ( Baseball player )
- Rik Offenberger
- Jeff Bottema ( Professional Road Racing Cyclist )
- Robert MacPherson
- Grant Gershon ( Conductor and Music Director )
- J. Armin Garza II ( Stunt Performer )
- Kevin Venegas
- Nicholas Grabowsky