Bloomington Fun Facts
Bloomington is home to the Buskirk-Chumley Theater, which is a renovated 616 seat vaudeville and movie house built in 1922.
Bloomington is in the Eastern Time Zone.
Sample list of tourist attractions in Bloomington:
- Little 500
- Lotus World Music and Arts Festival
- Charles C. Deam Wilderness Area
- Hoosier National Forest
- Kirkwood Observatory
- Oliver Winery
- McCormick's Creek State Park
- Morgan–Monroe State Forest
- Wylie House
There were about 261 foreclosures in Bloomington in the year 2008 according to data from United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.
Bloomington is about 60.50 square kilometers with a population of 81,381 in the year 2011.
There were 32,078 addresses in Bloomington in the year 2008 according to data from United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.
The section between Evansville and Bloomington is set for completion in 2014 and is presently open for travel up to US 231 about 25 miles southwest of the city.
Sample list of people who were the mayor of Bloomington:
- Mark Kruzan ( Current Mayor, from 03 Jan 2004 )
Bloomington is home to several professional and amateur theater companies, among the most notable are: the Indiana University Dept.
Sample list of films shot in Bloomington:
- Breaking Away ( starring Dennis Christopher as Dave Stohler, Dennis Quaid as Mike, Jackie Earle Haley as Moocher )
Sample list of newspapers published in Bloomington:
- The Herald-Times
- Indiana Daily Student
The unemployment rate of Bloomington was 5.05% in the year 2008.
Sample list of famous events happened in Bloomington:
- NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Tournament
- Disappearance of Lauren Spierer
- Bloomington Pride Film Festival
Population of Bloomington was 81,381 in the year 2011.
Downtown Bloomington is typically referred to as the area between First to Eleventh Streets and Madison to Lincoln Streets, with the vast majority of the dining, shopping and drinking establishments being located on the two main north/south thoroughfares of Walnut Street and College Avenue, which run parallel on either side of the courthouse.
List of sports teams from Bloomington:
- Indiana Hoosiers men's basketball ( Basketball )
Bloomington is located in Monroe County, Indiana, United States of America.
Bloomington's official website is http://www.bloomington.in.gov/
Sample list of famous people who were born in Bloomington:
- Austin Lucas ( Singer, Guitarist, Musician and Songwriter )
- Ian Barford ( Actor )
- Joe Dowell ( Singer )
- David Butler ( Politician )
- Dan V. Stephens ( Politician )
- Bobby Helms ( Singer )
- Joshua Bell ( Violinist and Musician )
- Karen Joy Fowler ( Writer, Novelist and Author )
- Dan Nainan ( Comedian and Actor )
- John Darnielle ( Singer-songwriter, Musician, Singer and Songwriter )
- David Lee Roth ( Singer, Musician, Singer-songwriter, Author, Guitarist, Record producer, Paramedic, Songwriter, Actor, Radio personality and Saxophonist )
- Claire Levy ( Politician )
- Rick White ( Politician and Lawyer )
- Paul Helmke ( Politician )
- Arija Bareikis ( Actor )
- Denny Miller ( Actor, Writer, Teacher and Basketball player )
- Ross Lockridge, Jr. ( Writer and Novelist )
- Mick Foley ( Writer, Novelist, Wrestler, Comedian, Actor, Voice Actor and Author )
- Meg Cabot ( Novelist, Writer and Author )
- Kathryn Cramer ( Writer and Literary critic )
- Terri Conn ( Actor )
- P. J. Abbott ( Race car driver )
- Troy Walters ( American football player )
- Jared Jeffries ( Basketball player )
- Kraig Kinser ( Race car driver )
- Dick Tomey ( American Football coach and Coach )
- Abdul Rahman Yasin
- David Shuster ( Journalist and Newscaster )
- Geoffrey Sauer
- Todd Yeagley ( Coach )
- Zach Dwiel
- Ed Cantrell
- John Moore ( Physician and Surgeon )
- David Hamilton
- Steve Kinser ( Race car driver )
- Duff Paxton ( Pornographic actor )
- George G. Wright ( Lawyer )
- Rex Grossman ( American football player )
- Mike Getman ( Coach )
- Marc Webb ( Film Director, Music Video Director, Television producer and Film Editor )
- Pete Schmidt
- Ezra Dee Alexander
- Joel Pett ( Cartoonist )
- Greg Roberts
- Michael Koryta ( Novelist and Author )
- Phil Bradley ( Baseball player )
- Eric W. Weisstein ( Mathematician )
- Kevin Pritchard ( Coach )
- Maurice Mierau
- Anirvan Ghosh
List of airports near Bloomington:
- Monroe County Airport, Indiana
There were about 10,105 mortgages in Bloomington in the year 2008 according to data from United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.
There were 26,482 households in Bloomington in the year 2008 according to data from United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.
Due to the absence of either natural lakes or rivers or groundwater in or near the city, a number of dams have been constructed on nearby creeks over the last 100 years to provide for the water needs of Bloomington and Monroe County.
Bloomington is located at 39°09′44″N 86°31′45″W / 39.162147°N 86.529045°W / 39.162147; -86.529045 .
Bloomington's geo-coordinates are 39.1622° N, 86.5292° W.
List of Bloomington's nicknames: