Stamford Fun Facts
Stamford is tied with Iowa City, Iowa for the US metropolitan area with the highest percentage of the adult population holding a bachelor's degree or higher; 44 percent of adults hold a degree.
Stamford is located on the main branch of the New Haven Line on the Metro-North Railroad, the commuter rail system for northern metropolitan New York City.
There were about 25,683 mortgages in Stamford in the year 2008 according to data from United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.
Stamford is about 134.94 square kilometers with a population of 123,868 in the year 2011.
Sample list of newspapers published in Stamford:
- The Advocate
- El Sol
Sample list of people who were the mayor of Stamford:
- David R. Martin ( Current Mayor, from 01 Dec 2013 )
Sample list of famous events happened in Stamford:
- American Crossword Puzzle Tournament 2007
The warm/hot season in Stamford is from May through late October.
There were about 637 foreclosures in Stamford in the year 2008 according to data from United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.
List of Stamford's nicknames:
- The City That Works
- Lock City
Sample list of tourist attractions in Stamford:
- Cummings Park
- Stamford Cone
- National Cartoon Museum
- Hoyt-Barnum House
- Cove section of Stamford
- Cove Island Park
- Stamford Center for the Arts
- Old Town Hall
- Rockrimmon Rockshelter
- Stamford Museum & Nature Center
As no study has been conducted to assess the cost of education in Stamford, it is difficult to tell whether or not Stamford has a well-funded public education system.
Population of Stamford was 123,868 in the year 2011.
The deed to Stamford was signed on July 1, 1640 between Captain Turner of the New Haven Colony and Chief Ponus.
Stamford is mostly Democratic, home to about 21,500 active registered Democrats and 14,000 Republicans in October 2005.
Stamford's official website is http://www.cityofstamford.org/
Trains in transit to Stamford are charged on peak fares from 5:35 AM – 8:37 AM and from 4:02 PM – 7:40 PM.
In 1692, Stamford was home to a less famous witch trial than the well-known Salem witch trials, which also occurred in 1692.
There were 45,454 households in Stamford in the year 2008 according to data from United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.
Sample list of famous people who were born in Stamford:
- William T. Minor ( Judge, Politician and Lawyer )
- Peterson Toscano ( Writer, Comedian, Actor and Playwright )
- Jeph Loeb ( Cartoonist, Writer and Television producer )
- James Davenport ( Politician, Lawyer and Judge )
- Mike D. Anderson ( Actor )
- Elizabeth Crocker Bowers ( Actor )
- Dannel Malloy ( Politician and Lawyer )
- Bobby Valentine ( Baseball player, Coach, Film Producer and Actor )
- Dan Levy ( Comedian, Actor, Television producer and Screenwriter )
- Dennis Holahan ( Actor and Lawyer )
- Ann Carol Crispin ( Writer and Novelist )
- Christopher Buckley ( Writer, Journalist, Novelist, Author and Speechwriter )
- Willy DeVille ( Songwriter, Singer, Actor, Composer and Musician )
- Luther Creek ( Actor )
- Louise Platt ( Actor )
- Andrew J. McDonald ( Politician )
- Zach Tyler Eisen ( Voice and Actor )
- Dave Abbruzzese ( Musician, Drummer and Songwriter )
- Harry Harrison ( Novelist, Author and Writer )
- John Henson ( Comedian, Talk show host, Screenwriter, Actor and Television producer )
- Chris Shays ( Politician )
- Kim Greist ( Actor and Model )
- Christopher Lloyd ( Actor and Voice Actor )
- Henry Simmons ( Actor )
- Joe Lieberman ( Lawyer, Politician, Counselor and Author )
- Everett F. Larson
- Andy Robustelli ( American football player )
- George Rose
- George Nessman ( Coach )
- Kevin Clark
- Chris Dudley ( Basketball player )
- Peter H. Dominick ( Lawyer )
- Tony DiPreta ( Comic Book Creator and Cartoonist )
- John Raus
- Charles Davenport ( Science writer )
- Tommy Wilson ( American football player )
- Fred Dugan ( American football player )
- Karan Mahajan
- Irvin Willat ( Film Director, Screenwriter and Cinematographer )
- Tim Jerman
- Sandra Diaz-Twine ( Bank teller )
- Jeremiah Tower ( Chef )
- Richard A. Howard
- Darryl Brinkley
- Daniel Madwed
- Andrew S. Effron
- Paul J. Schwartz
- Chris Wyles
- Chuck Arnold ( Race car driver and Cinematographer )
- Michael Cuscuna ( Record producer )
Stamford is made up of approximately 45 distinct neighborhoods, including 2 historic districts and 1 large neighborhood/redevelopment project, Harbor Point, that has yet to be completed:.
The unemployment rate of Stamford was 4.64% in the year 2008.
The 2009 Census Population estimate for Stamford is 118,787.
Stamford is also served by four other state highways.
Stamford is located in Fairfield County, Connecticut, United States of America.
Approximately 30 miles from Manhattan, Stamford is in the Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk Metro area which is a part of the Greater New York metropolitan area.
Sample list of films shot in Stamford:
- Away We Go ( starring Maggie Gyllenhaal as LN Fisher-Herrin, Catherine O'Hara as Gloria Farlander, Allison Janney as Lily )
Stamford is in the Eastern Time Zone.
There were 47,589 addresses in Stamford in the year 2008 according to data from United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.
Stamford was the ninth-safest city in the United States in 2006 (among cities with populations of 100,000 or more), up from the 11th safest in 2005, according to the FBI.
Stamford's geo-coordinates are 41.0967° N, 73.5522° W.