Kingsport Fun Facts
Sample list of famous people who were born in Kingsport:
- Beverly McClellan ( Singer )
- Barry Bales ( Bassist and Singer )
- Stick McGhee ( Guitarist, Singer and Songwriter )
- Kathryn Gerhardt ( Actor and Artist )
- Amy Dalley ( Singer and Singer-songwriter )
- Jerry Kilgore ( Politician and Lawyer )
- Matt Mahaffey ( Musician, Record producer, Singer-songwriter, Composer and Multi-instrumentalist )
- Lisa Alther ( Writer and Novelist )
- Ken Mellons ( Singer and Singer-songwriter )
- Lester G. Reynolds ( Actor )
- Cripple Clarence Lofton ( Singer, Musician and Songwriter )
- Joe L. Kincheloe ( Professor )
- Terry Kilgore ( Lawyer )
- Tanya Vance ( Social Worker )
- Michael Clark II ( Golfer )
- Selwa Roosevelt ( Editor and Journalist )
- James Frazier Barker ( Professor )
- Denny Crawford
- Daniel Kilgore ( American football player )
- James Alan Shelton
- Jp Arnold
- Cyrus Thomas
- Tony Glover ( Race car driver )
- Coty Sensabaugh ( American football player )
- Mike Faulkerson Dulaney
- Philip E. Lewis
- John King
- John King
- Walter Haynes
- Beryl Shipley
- Toby Sells ( Special Makeup Effects Artist )
- John Palmer ( Journalist )
- Curt Phillips
- Skip Brown
- Larry Ketron
- Tim Stafford
- Daniel Hood
- Ryan Williams
List of sports teams from Kingsport:
- Kingsport Mets ( Baseball )
Kingsport is located at 36°32′N 82°33′W / 36.533°N 82.550°W / 36.533; -82.550 (36.5369, −82.5421) , at the intersection of U.S.
Douglass High School in Kingsport was one of the largest African-American high schools in the region when it closed for desegregation in 1966.
The Sullivan County portion of Kingsport is represented in the Tennessee House of Representatives by the 1st and 2nd State Representative Districts, and the Hawkins County portion by the 6th district.
Kingsport is about 116.55 square kilometers with a population of 49,232 in the year 2011.
Population of Kingsport was 49,232 in the year 2011.
There were 19,530 households in Kingsport in the year 2008 according to data from United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.
Sample list of people who were the mayor of Kingsport:
- Dennis Phillips ( Current Mayor, from 2005 )
The North and South Forks of the Holston River converge on the west end of what is now Kingsport, and the town itself was known in 1787 as "Salt Lick" along the banks of the South Fork, about a mile from the confluence.
Kingsport is commonly included in what is known as the Mountain Empire, which spans a portion of Southwest Virginia and the mountainous counties in Tennessee to the east.
Kingsport's geo-coordinates are 36.5333° N, 82.55° W.
Kingsport is located in Sullivan County, Hawkins County, Tennessee.
Sample list of newspapers published in Kingsport:
- Kingsport Times-News
- Daily News
There were about 288 foreclosures in Kingsport in the year 2008 according to data from United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.
Kingsport's official website is http://home.naxs.com/kpdweb/
In the Tennessee State Senate, the Sullivan County portion of Kingsport is represented by the 2nd Senatorial District and the Hawkins County portion by the 4th district.
There were 22,147 addresses in Kingsport in the year 2008 according to data from United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.
There were about 7,990 mortgages in Kingsport in the year 2008 according to data from United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.
Residents of Kingsport are served by the Kingsport City Schools public school system which operates eight elementary schools, two middle schools, and one high school.
List of airports near Kingsport:
- Tri-Cities Regional Airport
The unemployment rate of Kingsport was 7.88% in the year 2008.