Lubbock Fun Facts
Lubbock is home to Texas Tech University, which was established on February 10, 1923, as Texas Technological College.
Lubbock is about 320.00 square kilometers with a population of 233,740 in the year 2011.
Lubbock's official website is http://www.ci.lubbock.tx.us/
Sample list of newspapers published in Lubbock:
- Lubbock Avalanche-Journal
- The Daily Toreador
Sample list of famous people who were born in Lubbock:
- The Legendary Stardust Cowboy ( Singer )
- Wayne Tippit ( Actor )
- Candice Crawford ( Journalist and Actor )
- Lloyd Maines ( Musician, Record producer and Songwriter )
- Mickey Leland ( Politician )
- Buddy Holly ( Singer-songwriter, Musician and Record producer )
- Jill Goodacre ( Model and Actor )
- Brad Leland ( Actor )
- Mark Womack ( Actor )
- Conrad Vernon ( Actor, Voice Actor, Film Director, Screenwriter and Television producer )
- Helen Wagner ( Actor )
- Cristi Conaway ( Actor, Model and Fashion designer )
- Natalie Maines ( Songwriter, Singer, Musician, Singer-songwriter and Social activist )
- Chace Crawford ( Model, Actor and Voice Actor )
- Kristi Cline ( Nude Glamour Model )
- Thomas Howard ( American football player )
- Dennis Gentry ( American football player )
- Mason Crosby ( American football player )
- Eric Hipple ( American football player )
- Mike Smith ( American football player )
- Landon Johnson ( American football player )
- Philip Spiegelberg
- Daniel Santiago ( Basketball player )
- Baby Doll ( Wrestler )
- Craig Ehlo
- William Wood
- Ed Miller ( Author )
- Kara Edwards ( Voice Actor and Radio personality )
- Thom Brennan
- J. Michael Bailey ( Psychologist and Professor )
- Bud Andrews ( Deejay and Disc jockey )
- Shea Salinas
- Chance Mock ( American football player )
- Gabe Hall
- Jerry Gray ( American football player and Coach )
- Greg Minton ( Baseball player )
- Bobby Humphery ( American football player )
- Curtis Jordan ( American football player )
- Thomas Howard, Sr. ( American football player )
- Martin Ruby ( American football player )
- Eddy Shell ( Photographer and Professor )
- D'Nika Romero ( Model )
- Samuel Ray Cummings
- William Royal Furgeson, Jr.
- Tyla Wynn ( Pornographic actor )
- Joan Bray ( Journalist and Teacher )
- James Duncan Davidson
- Floyd Prozanski ( Prosecutor and Lawyer )
- Leigh Daniel
- Bill Whittington ( Race car driver )
Lubbock was selected as the 12th best place to start a small business by CNNMoney.com.
List of sports teams from Lubbock:
- Texas Tech Red Raiders basketball ( Basketball )
The unemployment rate of Lubbock was 4.14% in the year 2008.
Population of Lubbock was 233,740 in the year 2011.
Lubbock is located at 33.566, −101.887.
The county of Lubbock was founded in 1876, named after Thomas Saltus Lubbock, former Texas Ranger and brother of Francis R Lubbock, governor of Texas during the Civil War.
Originally founded as Market Lubbock in 1997, the Lubbock Economic Development Alliance (LEDA) was established by the City to recruit new business and industry to Lubbock and to retain existing companies.
There were about 24,540 mortgages in Lubbock in the year 2008 according to data from United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.
There were 90,167 addresses in Lubbock in the year 2008 according to data from United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.
Lubbock is located in Lubbock County, Texas.
Sample list of tourist attractions in Lubbock:
- Museum of Texas Tech University
- American Wind Power Center
- Joyland Amusement Park
- Silent Wings Museum
- National Ranching Heritage Center
- City Bank Coliseum
- Cactus Theater
- Lubbock Memorial Civic Center
- Carlock Building
- Tubbs-Carlisle House
However, the town of Lubbock was not founded until 1890, when it was formed from a unique merger arrangement between two smaller towns, "Old Lubbock" and Monterey.
Lubbock's geo-coordinates are 33.5667° N, 101.8833° W.
Schools in Lubbock are operated by several public school districts and independent organizations.
Sample list of people who were the mayor of Lubbock:
- Glen Robertson ( Current Mayor, from 19 May 2012 )
Sample list of famous events happened in Lubbock:
- Battle of Yellow House Canyon
- NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Tournament
Lubbock is served by major highways.
Lubbock is in the Central Time Zone.
Lubbock is serviced by the BNSF Railway company, Plainsman Switching Company (PSC), & West Texas & Lubbock Railway (WTLC).
The tallest buildings in Lubbock are listed below.
On May 9, 2009, Proposition 1, which expanded the sale of packaged alcohol in Lubbock County, passed by nearly a margin of two to one, with 64.5% in favor.
There were 77,648 households in Lubbock in the year 2008 according to data from United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.
There were about 815 foreclosures in Lubbock in the year 2008 according to data from United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.
Sample list of fictional characters born in Lubbock:
- Blob ( from "Marvel Universe" )
List of airports near Lubbock:
- Lubbock Preston Smith International Airport
Thursday September 25, 2014