Cedar Rapids Fun Facts
Cedar Rapids's geo-coordinates are 41.9831° N, 91.6686° W.
Three other stations in Cedar Rapids are independently owned: KZIA 102.9 FM (contemporary hits), KGYM 1600 AM (sports radio), and KMRY 1450 AM/93.1 FM (Classic).
Cedar Rapids / ˈ s iː d ər ˈ r æ p ɨ d z / is the second largest city in Iowa and is the county seat of Linn County. The city lies on both banks of the Cedar River, 20 miles (32 km) north of Iowa City and 100 miles (160 km) east of Des Moines, the state's capital and largest city. Until massive flooding in 2008, the city's government was headquartered in the Veterans Memorial Building, near the Linn County Courthouse and jail on Mays Island in the Cedar River; Cedar Rapids was one of a few cities in the world, along with Paris, France, with governmental offices on a municipal island.
List of sports teams from Cedar Rapids:
- Cedar Rapids Kernels ( Baseball )
Cedar Rapids is divided into fourteen ZIP Codes.
Cedar Rapids is in the Central Time Zone.
When Cedar Rapids was first established in 1838, William Stone named the town Columbus.
The cedar rapids is ranked 88th by Nielsen Media Research for the 2008–2009 television season with 346,330 television households.
There were about 966 foreclosures in Cedar Rapids in the year 2008 according to data from United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.
The location of present-day Cedar Rapids was in the territory of the Fox and Sac tribes.
The cedar rapids is estimated 1300 or more properties are to be demolished in the Cedar Rapids area because of the flood.
Cedar Rapids is located in Linn County, Iowa, United States of America.
In 2009, Cedar Rapids was rated one of the "Top 10 cities to Grow Up In" in the United States, partly due to a low crime rate and a good public school system.
The unemployment rate of Cedar Rapids was 3.76% in the year 2008.
Sample list of newspapers published in Cedar Rapids:
- The Gazette
Cedar Rapids's official website is http://www.cedar-rapids.org/
Sample list of people who were the mayor of Cedar Rapids:
- Ron Corbett ( Current Mayor, from 02 Jan 2010 )
Cedar Rapids is served by The Eastern Iowa Airport (formerly known as the Cedar Rapids Airport), a regional airport that connects with other regional and international airports.
There were 49,879 households in Cedar Rapids in the year 2008 according to data from United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.
Sample list of famous people who were born in Cedar Rapids:
- Sarah Lindsay ( Poet, Author and Writer )
- Dow Mossman ( Writer )
- Paul Engle ( Writer and Novelist )
- Terry Carpenter ( Politician )
- John Hench ( Writer )
- Douglas Barr ( Screenwriter, Film Director and Actor )
- Preston Hanson ( Actor and Character Actor )
- Hannah Wood ( Actor )
- Amy Sewell ( Screenwriter, Film Producer, Writer and Film Director )
- Betsy Baker ( Actor, Singer, Businessperson and Voice Actor )
- James William Good ( Lawyer and Politician )
- Don DeFore ( Actor )
- Chris Carney ( Politician and Professor )
- Terry Farrell ( Actor, Fashion Model and Voice Actor )
- Michael Emerson ( Actor, Illustrator, Voice Actor, Theatre teacher and Theatre Director )
- Elijah Wood ( Actor, Film Producer and Voice Actor )
- Riley Smith ( Actor and Musician )
- Ron Livingston ( Actor and Voice Actor )
- Ashton Kutcher ( Model, Actor, Screenwriter, Entrepreneur, Comedian, Television producer, Presenter, Voice Actor and Film Producer )
- Carl Van Vechten ( Writer and Photographer )
- Anthony Schlegel ( American football player )
- Trent Green ( American football player and Sports commentator )
- Dedric Ward ( American football player )
- Toddy Puller
- Jon Koncak
- Landon Cassill ( Race car driver )
- Adrian Arrington ( American football player and Athlete )
- Phil Estes ( Coach and American Football coach )
- James H. Douglas, Jr.
- Edward Simon ( Choreographer )
- Fred Baron ( Lawyer )
- Dave Williams ( American football player )
- Tom Farmer ( American football player )
- Ben Ford ( Baseball player )
- Jim Cummins ( Journalist )
- William Blakely Jones
- Dan Jilek
- Ann Lynch ( Legislator )
- Danielle Kahle
- Kenneth Sitzberger
- Jesse Lennox
- George Biskup
- Geof Darrow
- Harvey Sollberger ( Conductor )
- James E. Bromwell
- John Sandford ( Novelist, Author and Journalist )
- Joe Arenas ( American football player )
- Robert Fletcher ( Costume Designer and Set Designer )
- Cy Slapnicka ( Baseball player )
- Mike Boddicker ( Baseball player )
There were about 34,192 mortgages in Cedar Rapids in the year 2008 according to data from United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.
List of airports near Cedar Rapids:
- The Eastern Iowa Airport
The Cedar Rapids Gazette won a Pulitzer Prize in 1936, under editor Verne Marshall and primarily due to his efforts and articles, for its campaign against corruption and misgovernment in the State of Iowa.
Cedar Rapids was incorporated on January 15, 1849.
The only non-commercial station licensed to Cedar Rapids is KCCK-FM 88.3 FM, a jazz station licensed to Kirkwood Community College.
Population of Cedar Rapids was 127,905 in the year 2011.
Cedar Rapids is about 186.66 square kilometers with a population of 127,905 in the year 2011.
There were 57,169 addresses in Cedar Rapids in the year 2008 according to data from United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.
Cedar Rapids Events
Cedar Rapids Data