Houston Fun Facts
Sample list of newspapers published in Houston:
- Northwest Houston Leader
- Northeast News
- Houston Chronicle
- Houston Press
- Houston Post
- The Daily Cougar
- Rice Thresher
- Urdu Times
- Jewish Herald-Voice
- The Collegian
- Greater Houston Weekly
- Free Press Houston
- The Dateline Downtown
- North Star News
- The Katy Sun
- The Signal
Locations in Houston are generally classified as either being inside or outside the Interstate 610 Loop.
Houston's geo-coordinates are 29.7628° N, 95.3831° W.
Countdown of 10 Great Moments in 2010 Part 2 Beyonce and Jay-Z is a book about Houston
In 2012, the city was ranked #1 for paycheck worth by Forbes; and in late May 2013, Houston was identified as America's top city for employment creation.
The current mayor of Houston is Annise Parker, a Democrat elected on a nonpartisan ballot whose third (and final) term in office will expire at the end of 2015.
Sample list of films shot in Houston:
- Attention Shoppers ( starring Nestor Carbonell as Enrique Suarez, Lillian Adams as Gracie, Casey Affleck as Jed )
- Night Game ( starring Roy Scheider, Lane Smith, Richard Bradford )
- Powder ( starring Sean Patrick Flanery as Jeremy 'Powder' Reed, Jeff Goldblum as Donald Ripley, Mary Steenburgen as Jessie Caldwell )
- Logan's Run ( starring Michael York as Logan, Richard Jordan as Francis, Jenny Agutter as Jessica )
- Puncture ( starring Vinessa Shaw as Vicky, Brett Cullen as Nathaniel Price, Marshall Bell as Jeffrey Dancort )
- The Waiter ( starring Charles Durning as Frank 'The Handler' Maro, Jason Konopisos as Actor, Glenn Morshower as Nigel Hamilton )
Houston was granted incorporation on June 5, 1837, with James S Holman becoming its first mayor.
Sample list of famous people who were born in Houston:
- Donald Driver ( American football player and Actor )
- John G. Cramer ( Physicist and Science writer )
- Gene Green ( Politician and Lawyer )
- Barbara Jordan ( Politician and Lawyer )
- John Carter ( Politician and Lawyer )
- William Reynolds Archer, Jr. ( Politician )
- John Culberson ( Politician )
- Richard Linklater ( Screenwriter, Film Director, Film Producer, Actor, Television producer, Television Director and Cinematographer )
- Jonathan Breck ( Actor and Film Producer )
- Matt Stone ( Screenwriter, Actor, Television producer, Animator, Film Producer, Voice Actor, Musician, Television Director, Film Director and Film Score Composer )
- Jennifer Garner ( Actor, Television producer, Film Producer, Spokesperson, Businessperson and Voice Actor )
- Randy Quaid ( Actor, Voice Actor, Musician and Film Producer )
- Jaclyn Smith ( Businessperson, Actor, Entrepreneur and Model )
- Missi Pyle ( Actor and Singer )
- Haylie Duff ( Singer-songwriter, Actor, Film Producer, Record producer and Voice Actor )
- Annette O'Toole ( Actor, Dancer and Singer-songwriter )
- Texas Battle ( Actor )
- Sean Faris ( Model, Actor and Film Producer )
- Brent Spiner ( Actor, Voice Actor, Comedian and Musician )
- Loretta Devine ( Actor, Singer and Voice Actor )
- Patrick Swayze ( Actor, Dancer and Singer-songwriter )
- Isaiah Washington ( Actor, Film Producer and Soldier )
- Chandra Wilson ( Actor, Television Director and Singer )
- John Tower ( Politician )
- Steven Drozd ( Musician, Actor, Drummer and Guitarist )
- Alexis Bledel ( Model, Actor and Film Producer )
- Hilary Duff ( Singer, Songwriter, Actor, Entrepreneur, Film Producer, Author, Model, Voice Actor and Singer-songwriter )
- Michael Nesmith ( Songwriter, Singer, Musician, Actor, Guitarist, Author, Screenwriter, Film Producer, Film Director and Film Score Composer )
- Ray Stricklyn ( Actor )
- Billy Preston ( Musician, Singer-songwriter, Bandleader, Keyboard Player, Songwriter and Actor )
- Eloise Broady ( Nude Glamour Actor and Model )
- Marian Stafford ( Nude Glamour Model and Actor )
- Matt Mullenweg ( Entrepreneur )
- Lorna Hopper ( Nude Glamour Model )
- T. J. Ford ( Basketball player )
- Glenn Hegar ( Farmer and Lawyer )
- Kim Brimer
- Patricia Gras ( Songwriter, Talk show host, Television producer and Journalist )
- Molly Louise Shepard ( Screenwriter )
- David Koresh
- Kristian Menchaca
- Brede Hangeland ( Football player )
- Nelson Akwari ( Football player )
- Zak Whitbread ( Soccer Player )
- Arturo Alvarez ( Football player )
- Geoff Hangartner ( American football player )
- Gerome Sapp ( American football player )
- Juqua Parker ( American football player )
- Quentin Griffin ( American football player )
- Jonathan Welsh ( American football player )
Houston is about 1,625.20 square kilometers with a population of 2,145,146 in the year 2011.
Population of Houston was 2,145,146 in the year 2011.
The predominant form of transportation in Houston is the automobile with 71.7 percent of residents driving alone to work This is facilitated through Houston's freeway system, comprising 739.3 miles (1,189.8 km) of freeways and expressways in a ten-county metropolitan area.
List of sports teams from Houston:
- Houston Astros ( Baseball )
- Houston Texans ( American football )
- Houston Rockets ( Basketball )
- Houston Dynamo ( Football )
- Houston Aeros ( Ice Hockey )
- Cloud 9 ( Ultimate )
The coldest temperature ever recorded in Houston was 5 °F (−15 °C) on January 23, 1940.
The hottest temperature ever recorded in Houston is 109 °F (43 °C), which was reached both on September 4, 2000 and August 28, 2011.
Most of Houston is located on the gulf coastal plain, and its vegetation is classified as temperate grassland and forest.
There were about 306,754 mortgages in Houston in the year 2008 according to data from United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.
Houston is located in Texas, United States of America.
The northwestern through northeastern parts of the city are served by various campuses of the Lone Star College System, while the southeastern portion of Houston is served by San Jacinto College, and a northeastern portion is served by Lee College.
In 1900, after Galveston was struck by a devastating hurricane, efforts to make Houston into a viable deep-water port were accelerated.
In 2012, there was a 25 percent increase in ridership to 20,327 passengers embarking from the Houston Amtrak station.
Sample list of fictional characters born in Houston:
- Jasper Hale ( from "Twilight" )
Houston is not known for being the most walkable city because of the way it was originally designed.
In 2013, Houston was identified as the #1 U.S.
Sample list of tourist attractions in Houston:
- Hanna–Barbera Land
- Wet'n'Wild SplashTown
- Kemah Boardwalk
- Houston Zoo
- Rothko Chapel
- Space Center Houston
- George R. Brown Convention Center
- Downtown Aquarium, Houston
- Sam Houston Race Park
- The Galleria
- Houston Arboretum and Nature Center
- Gerald D. Hines Waterwall Park
- Bayou Bend Collection and Gardens
Houston was founded in 1836 on land near the banks of Buffalo Bayou (now known as Allen's Landing) and incorporated as a city on June 5, 1837.
Houston is in the Central Time Zone.
The University of Houston is a nationally recognized Tier One research university, and is the flagship institution of the University of Houston System.
The unemployment rate of Houston was 4.67% in the year 2008.
Houston is recognized worldwide for its energy industry—particularly for oil and natural gas—as well as for biomedical research and aeronautics.
There were 718,897 households in Houston in the year 2008 according to data from United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.
The city was named after former General Sam Houston, who was president of the Republic of Texas and had commanded and won at the Battle of San Jacinto 25 miles (40 km) east of where the city was established.
The number one rated place to walk in Houston is 19th Street & Rutland Drive in Greater Heights which was recently ranked 4th in CNN Money's Top 10 Big City Neighborhoods.
There were about 12,605 foreclosures in Houston in the year 2008 according to data from United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.
List of airports near Houston:
- George Bush Intercontinental Airport
- William P. Hobby Airport
- Ellington Airport
- David Wayne Hooks Memorial Airport
- Sugar Land Regional Airport
- West Houston Airport
- Westheimer Air Park
- Weiser Air Park
- Houston Executive Airport
- Houston Fort Bend Airport
- Dan Jones International Airport
- Pearland Regional Airport
- Houston Southwest Airport
- Lone Star Executive Airport
- Houston Gulf Airport
The Houston area is the top U.S.
The Hearst Corporation, which owns and operates the Houston Chronicle, bought the assets of the Houston Post—its long-time rival and main competition—when Houston Post ceased operations in 1995.
Sample list of people who were the mayor of Houston:
- Annise Parker ( Current Mayor, from 02 Jan 2010 )
- Bill White ( Mayor, from 02 Jan 2004 to 02 Jan 2010 )
Houston's official website is http://www.houstontx.gov/
To cope with the heat, people use air conditioning in nearly every vehicle and building in the city; in 1980 Houston was described as the "most air-conditioned place on earth".
There were 850,326 addresses in Houston in the year 2008 according to data from United States Department of Housing and Urban Development.
Sample list of famous events happened in Houston:
- NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Tournament
- Millennium '73
- Camp Rock 2 Tour
- Miss Texas USA 2011
- Republican National Convention
- NCAA Men's Final Four
- WorldFest Houston
- Dawn Breakers International Film Festival
Houston is served by three airports, two of which are commercial that served 52 million passengers in 2007 and managed by the Houston Airport System.
The only other major publication to serve the city is the Houston Press—a free alternative weekly with a weekly readership of more than 300,000.
Friday August 22, 2014