Calgary Fun Facts
In 2006, the top three private sector employers in Calgary were Shaw Communications (7,500 employees), Nova Chemicals (4,945) and Telus (4,517).
Calgary was ranked as the world's cleanest city by Forbes Magazine in 2007.
The calgary was named after Calgary on the Isle of Mull, Scotland.
Also, Calgary was ranked fifth in the main overall category, with a score of 534 points.
Calgary was officially incorporated as a town in 1884, and elected its first mayor, George Murdoch.
Sample list of famous people who were born in Calgary:
- Roy Jenson ( Actor, Stunt Performer and Canadian football player )
- Keith Hart ( Wrestler, Firefighter and Actor )
- Teddy Hart ( Actor and Wrestler )
- Norman Kwong ( Politician and Businessperson )
- Pierre Poilievre ( Communications Consultant, Businessperson and Politician )
- Colin Stinton ( Actor )
- Lanny Poffo ( Wrestler and Actor )
- Ralph Klein ( Politician )
- Todd McFarlane ( Writer, Cartoonist, Artist, Film Producer and Screenwriter )
- David Winning ( Screenwriter, Film Producer, Film Director, Actor, Film Editor and Television Director )
- Paul Gross ( Actor, Composer, Singer, Television producer, Screenwriter, Film Director, Musician, Film Score Composer and Film Producer )
- Erica Durance ( Actor and Television producer )
- Heather Marks ( Fashion Model and Actor )
- Kevin McKenna ( Football player )
- Owen Hargreaves ( Football player )
- Dave Bronconnier
- Peter Lougheed ( Lawyer )
- Issey Nakajima-Farran ( Football player )
- Mark Rypien ( American football player )
- Geoff Snider
- Rob Conn
- Mike Moller
- Terry Johnson
- Kyle Moir
- Murray Brumwell
- Myles O'Connor
- Ian Willoughby Bazalgette ( Soldier )
- Nick Kiniski ( Wrestler )
- Kelly Kiniski ( Wrestler )
- Thomas Hickey ( Ice hockey player )
- Al Conroy
- Bob Wilkie
- Glenn Mulvenna
- Rob DiMaio ( Ice hockey player )
- Dana Murzyn ( Ice hockey player )
- Kaleb Toth
- Natalya ( Wrestler )
- Rhonda Sing ( Dancer and Wrestler )
- Jason Smith ( Ice hockey player )
- Tim Hunter
- Bruce Hart ( Wrestler and Author )
- David Hart Smith ( Wrestler )
- Smith Hart ( Wrestler and Wrestling Booker )
- Dean Hart ( Professional Wrestling Referee and Wrestler )
- Ben Bassarab
- Rick Bognar
- Ryder Bateman
- Wes Walz
- Brent Sopel
- Kyle Wanvig
Calgary held 1988 Winter Olympics.
Sample list of films shot in Calgary:
- Cool Runnings ( starring Leon Robinson as Derice Bannock, Doug E. Doug as Sanka Coffie, John Candy as Irving 'Irv' Blitzer )
- The Yes Men Fix the World
- Brokeback Mountain ( starring Heath Ledger as Ennis Del Mar, Jake Gyllenhaal as Jack Twist, Anne Hathaway as Lureen Newsome Twist )
- Snow Dogs ( starring Cuba Gooding, Jr. as Ted Brooks, James Coburn as Thunder Jack, Nichelle Nichols as Amelia )
- Angels Crest ( starring Thomas Dekker as Ethan, Jeremy Piven as Jack, Elizabeth McGovern as Jane )
As a result, house prices in Calgary have increased significantly in recent years, but have stagnated over the last half of 2007, and into 2008.
Also, Calgary was one of the top 200 cities worldwide, by the Brookings Institution, that had a top performing local economy for 2011.
Sample list of famous events happened in Calgary:
- Hub Oil explosion
- Liberal Party of Canada leadership election, 1990
- Calgary International Film Festival
- Scotch Cup
- Marda Loop Justice Film Festival
- $100 Film Festival
The School Boards are considered to be part of municipal politics in Calgary as they are elected at the same time as City Council.
Like most other major Canadian cities, Calgary is served by cable television stations Global, CTV, CBC, and City.
Calgary is recognized as a Canadian leader in the oil and gas industry as well as for being a leader in economic expansion.
Calgary is about 726.50 square kilometers with a population of 1,096,833 in the year 2011.
Sample list of fictional characters born in Calgary:
- Shaman ( from "Marvel Universe" )
Calgary is in the Mountain Time Zone.
You can get to Calgary by train:
- You can take a train and go to:
Calgary is located in Rocky View No. 44, Alberta, Canada.
Harper is the second Prime Minister to represent a Calgary riding; the first was R B.
Population of Calgary was 1,096,833 in the year 2011.
Sample list of tourist attractions in Calgary:
- Glenbow Museum
- Kenosee Superslides
- Calaway Park
- Calgary Zoo
- Calgary Tower
- Telus Spark
- Heritage Park Historical Village
- The CORE Shopping Centre
- Prince's Island Park
- Chinook Centre
- EPCOR Centre for the Performing Arts, Calgary
- Dinosaur Provincial Park
- Calgary International Reggae Festival
List of Calgary's nicknames:
Canadian Forces Base (CFB) Calgary was established as Currie Barracks and Harvie Barracks following the Second World War.
Calgary's geo-coordinates are 51.05° N, 114.0667° W.
List of airports near Calgary:
- Calgary/Okotoks Air Park
- Calgary International Airport
- Calgary/Springbank Airport
List of sports teams from Calgary:
- Calgary Flames ( Ice Hockey )
- Calgary Stampeders ( Ice Hockey )
- Calgary Stampeders ( Canadian football )
- Calgary Roughnecks ( Lacrosse )
- Calgary Cannons ( Baseball )
- Calgary Broncos
- Calgary Cowboys ( Ice Hockey )
Sample list of newspapers published in Calgary:
- Calgary Sun
- Sing Tao Daily
- Fast Forward Weekly
- City Light News
- Calgary Herald
- The Jewish Tribune
The City of Calgary is immediately surrounded by two municipal districts, Rocky View County to the north, west and east; and the Municipal District of Foothills No.
The latest 2012 and 2013 report from the Economist Intelligence Unit said Calgary was tied for fifth-best place, with Adelaide, to live in the world.
There were more than 200 different ethnic origins in Calgary, the most frequently reported were English, Scottish, Canadian, German and Irish.
On March 25, 2014, Calgary was on the final shortlist of five cities vying for the title of "the Ultimate Sports City" for 2014, by the London-based SportBusiness International organization.
The district is home to many ethnic restaurants and stores.[citation needed ] Calgary was designated as one of the cultural capitals of Canada in 2012.
Calgary's official website is http://www.calgary.ca/
Calgary is located at the transition zone between the Canadian Rockies foothills and the Canadian Prairies.