Vancouver Fun Facts
Vancouver's geo-coordinates are 49.25° N, 123.1° W.
The City of Vancouver was incorporated on 6 April 1886, the same year that the first transcontinental train arrived.
Vancouver is one of the most ethnically and linguistically diverse cities in Canada; 52% of its residents have a first language other than English.
List of sports teams from Vancouver:
- Vancouver Canucks ( Ice Hockey )
- Furious George ( Ultimate )
- Calgary Cowboys ( Ice Hockey )
- BC Lions ( Canadian football )
- Vancouver Giants ( Ice Hockey )
- Vancouver Canadians ( Baseball )
- Vancouver Royals
- Vancouver Whitecaps ( Football )
- Vancouver Cougars
- Vancouver Harps
- Vancouver Millionaires
- Vancouver Mounties ( Baseball )
- Vancouver Nats
- Vancouver Ravens ( Lacrosse )
- Vancouver Voodoo
- Vancouver Grizzlies ( Basketball )
Here are average temperatures and rainfall of Vancouver by month ( based on last 5 years ) :
|Min Temp (°C)||Max Temp (°C)||Rainfall (mm)|
Vancouver is the most stressed in the spectrum of affordability of housing in Canada.
List of Vancouver's nicknames:
- Van City
- Terminal City
- The 604
You can get to Vancouver by air, train and/or bus:
- You can take a plane and go to:
- Vancouver International Airport
- Seattle–Tacoma International Airport
- Abbotsford International Airport
- You can take a train and go to:
- Pacific Central Station
- You can take a bus and go to:
- Pacific Central Station
- Vancouver International Airport
- 1110 Howe St.
Vancouver's official website is http://vancouver.ca/
Sample list of famous events happened in Vancouver:
- Great Vancouver Fire
- Battle of Ballantyne Pier
- Gastown Riots
- Vancouver Stanley Cup riot
- Bloody Sunday
- Vancouver general strike
- OOPSLA 2004
- Liberal Party of Canada leadership election, 2009
- IBF World Junior Championships
- ACM ICPC 2000
- Vancouver International Film Festival
- Ride from Seattle to Vancouver and Party
- Reel 2 Real International Film Festival for Youth
- Winter Olympics
- DOXA Documentary Film Festival
Population of Vancouver was 603,502 in the year 2011.
With 5,249 people per square kilometre (13,590 per sq mile), the City of Vancouver is the most densely populated of Canadian municipalities having more than 5,000 residents.
Vancouver is served by Vancouver International Airport (YVR), located on Sea Island in the City of Richmond, immediately south of Vancouver.
Ninety-three percent of the electricity used in Vancouver is generated using sustainable resources such as hydroelectric power.
After the war, these Japanese-Canadian men and women were not allowed to return to cities like Vancouver causing areas, like the aforementioned Japantown, to cease to be ethnically Japanese areas as the communities never revived.
As of 1 January 1929, the population of the enlarged Vancouver was 228,193.
The highest temperature ever recorded at the airport was 34.4 °C (93.9 °F) set on 30 July 2009, and the highest temperature ever recorded within the city of Vancouver was 35.0 °C (95.0 °F) occurring first on 31 July 1965, again on 8 August 1981, and finally on 29 May 1983.
The economy of early Vancouver was dominated by large companies such as the CPR, which fuelled economic activity and led to the rapid development of the new city; in fact the CPR was the main real estate owner and housing developer in the city.
Sample list of fictional characters born in Vancouver:
- Robin Scherbatsky ( from "How I Met Your Mother" )
- Sasquatch ( from "Marvel Universe" )
As of 2011, Vancouver is the most densely populated city in Canada.
Sample list of newspapers published in Vancouver:
- The Vancouver Sun
- 24 Hours
- The Georgia Straight
- Ming Pao
- The Peak
- The Province
- The Republic
- The Ubyssey
- Vancouver Courier
- World Journal
- Xtra Vancouver
- Sing Tao Daily
- People's Voice
- The Jewish Tribune
Sample list of tourist attractions in Vancouver:
- Stanley Park
- Canadian Rockies
- University Golf Club
- VanDusen Botanical Garden
- Vancouver Aquarium
- Vancouver Maritime Museum
- Dr. Sun Yat-Sen Classical Chinese Garden
- Nitobe Memorial Garden
- Queen Elizabeth Park, British Columbia
- Museum of Anthropology at UBC
- Science World at TELUS World of Science
- Museum of Vancouver
- Vancouver Art Gallery
In 2012, Vancouver was ranked by Demographia as the second most unaffordable in the world, rated as even more severely unaffordable in 2012 than in 2011.
Vancouver held 2010 Winter Olympics.
Vancouver is about 114.97 square kilometers with a population of 603,502 in the year 2011.
The vancouver was quickly followed by mills owned by Captain Edward Stamp on the south shore of the inlet.
Vancouver (i / v æ ŋ ˈ k uː v ər / or / v æ n ˈ k uː v ər / ), officially the City of Vancouver, is a coastal seaport city on the mainland of British Columbia, Canada. The 2011 census recorded 603,502 people in the city, making it the eighth largest Canadian municipality. Vancouver is one of the most ethnically and linguistically diverse cities in Canada; 52% of its residents have a first language other than English. The Greater Vancouver area of around 2.4 million inhabitants is the third most populous metropolitan area in the country and the most populous in Western Canada.
The second-tallest building in Vancouver is the Private Residences at Hotel Georgia, at 156 metres (512 feet).
Vancouver is consistently named as one of the top five worldwide cities for livability and quality of life, and the Economist Intelligence Unit acknowledged it as the first city to rank among the top-ten of the world's most livable cities for five consecutive years.
Sample list of famous people who were born in Vancouver:
- Zach Lipovsky ( Screenwriter, Film Director, Film Editor and Actor )
- Thea Gill ( Actor and Singer )
- Laura Harris ( Actor )
- Jennifer Granholm ( Lawyer and Politician )
- Carmin Carotenuto ( Journalist and Actor )
- Gordon Campbell ( Teacher, Politician and Real estate development )
- Dave Barrett ( Social work and Politician )
- Kirsten Prout ( Actor )
- Crystal Lowe ( Actor and Model )
- Ryan Reynolds ( Actor, Voice Actor and Film Producer )
- Katharine Isabelle ( Actor )
- Emily Perkins ( Actor )
- Jessica Lucas ( Actor, Singer and Child Actor )
- Marc Singer ( Actor )
- Karena Lam ( Singer and Actor )
- James Kirk ( Actor )
- Sebastian Gacki ( Actor )
- Joshua Jackson ( Actor )
- Christine Chatelain ( Actor )
- Chelan Simmons ( Actor and Model )
- Nicki Clyne ( Actor )
- Seth Rogen ( Actor, Film Producer, Screenwriter, Comedian, Voice Actor and Film Director )
- Gabrielle Miller ( Actor )
- Mitchell Kosterman ( Actor )
- Paul Campbell ( Actor )
- Michael Shanks ( Actor and Screenwriter )
- Kiara Hunter ( Actor, Cheerleader and Swimmer )
- Devon Sawa ( Actor and Voice Actor )
- Kristin Kreuk ( Actor and Film Producer )
- Zachary Ansley ( Actor and Lawyer )
- Nisha Ganatra ( Film Director, Film Producer, Television Director, Screenwriter and Actor )
- Carly Pope ( Actor )
- Cobie Smulders ( Model and Actor )
- Barbara Kelly ( Actor )
- Tania Saulnier ( Actor and Dancer )
- Mercedes McNab ( Actor )
- Boris Mann ( Consultant )
- Paul D. Gleeson
- Wes Cumberland ( Programmer and Game programmer )
- Douglas Albert Munro
- Pat Onstad
- Bruce Wilson ( Coach )
- Cheryl Kaye Tardif ( Author )
- Lui Passaglia
- Nick Patterson
- Bill Mathews ( Geologist )
- Alec Tidey
- Dylan Hughes
- Tony Horacek
- Dan Kesa
The Greater Vancouver area of around 2.4 million inhabitants is the third most populous metropolitan area in the country and the most populous in Western Canada.
As of 2009, Port Metro Vancouver is the busiest and largest port in Canada, and the most diversified port in North America.
List of airports near Vancouver:
- Vancouver Harbour Water Airport
- Vancouver International Airport
- Vancouver International Water Airport
The other public universities in the metropolitan area around Vancouver are Capilano University in North Vancouver, the Emily Carr University of Art and Design on Granville Island in Vancouver, and Kwantlen Polytechnic University with four campuses all outside the city proper.
Topping the list of tallest buildings in Vancouver is Living Shangri-La at 201 metres (659 feet) and 62 storeys.
Vancouver is in the Pacific Time Zone.
Sample list of films shot in Vancouver:
- The Last Mimzy ( starring Joely Richardson as Jo Wilder, Timothy Hutton as David Wilder, Rhiannon Leigh Wryn as Emma Wilder )
- The 6th Day ( starring Arnold Schwarzenegger as Adam Gibson, Michael Rapaport as Hank Morgan, Michael Rooker as Robert Marshall )
- 88 Minutes ( starring Al Pacino as Jack Gramm, Alicia Witt as Kim Cummings, Leelee Sobieski as Lauren Douglas )
- The Accused ( starring Jodie Foster as Sarah Tobias, Kelly McGillis as Kathryn Murphy, Bernie Coulson as Ken Joyce )
- Agent Cody Banks ( starring Frankie Muniz as Cody Banks, Hilary Duff as Natalie Connors, Angie Harmon as Ronica Miles )
- Air Bud: Spikes Back ( starring Katija Pevec as Andrea Framm, Jake D. Smith as Noah Framm, Tyler Boissonnault as Connor )
- Alien Agent ( starring Billy Zane as Tom, Mark Dacascos as Rykker, Amelia Cooke as Isis )
- AVPR: Aliens vs Predator - Requiem ( starring Reiko Aylesworth as Kelly, John Ortiz as Morales, Steven Pasquale as Dallas )
- All I Want for Christmas ( starring Camille Saviola, Thora Birch as Hallie O'Fallon, Ethan Embry )
- Alone in the Dark ( starring Christian Slater as Edward Carnby, Tara Reid as Aline Cedrac, Stephen Dorff as Richard Burke )
- Along Came a Spider ( starring Michael Wincott as Gary Soneji, Monica Potter as Jezzie Flannigan, Morgan Freeman as Alex Cross )
- American Venus ( starring Agam Darshi, Matt Craven, Rebecca De Mornay )
- Angels in the Endzone ( starring Paul Dooley, Matthew Lawrence, David Gallagher as Kevin Harper )
- Another Stakeout ( starring Richard Dreyfuss as Chris Lecce, Emilio Estevez as Bill Reimers, Rosie O'Donnell as Gina Garrett )
- Antitrust ( starring Tygh Runyan as Larry Banks, Richard Roundtree as Lyle Barton, Tim Robbins as Gary Winston )
- Are We There Yet ( starring Ice Cube as Nick Persons, Nia Long as Suzanne Kingston, Jay Mohr as Marty )
- Atomic Train ( starring Rob Lowe as John Seger, Kristin Davis as Megan Seger, Esai Morales as Noris MacKenzie )
- Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever ( starring Antonio Banderas as Jeremiah Ecks, Lucy Liu as Sever, Gregg Henry as Robert Gant )
- Battle in Seattle ( starring Woody Harrelson as Dale, Channing Tatum as Johnson, Ray Liotta as Mayor Jim Tobin )
- Bird on a Wire ( starring Mel Gibson as Rick Jarmin, Goldie Hawn as Marianne Graves, David Carradine as Eugene Sorenson )
- Black Christmas ( starring Olivia Hussey as Jess Bradford, Margot Kidder as Barbara 'Barb' Coard, Andrea Martin as Phyllis 'Phyl' Carlson )
- Blade ( starring Wesley Snipes as Blade, Stephen Dorff as Deacon Frost, Kris Kristofferson as Abraham Whistler )
- Blade: Trinity ( starring Wesley Snipes as Blade, Kris Kristofferson as Abraham Whistler, Ryan Reynolds as Hannibal King )
- Blonde and Blonder ( starring Pamela Anderson as Dee Twiddle, Emmanuelle Vaugier as Cat, Denise Richards as Dawn St. Dom )
- BloodRayne II: Deliverance ( starring Natassia Malthe as Rayne, John Novak as Sheriff Cobden, Zack Ward as Billy the Kid )
- The Boy Who Could Fly ( starring Fred Savage as Louis, Bonnie Bedelia as Charlene, Jay Underwood as Eric )
- The Butterfly Effect 2 ( starring Erica Durance as Julie Miller, Eric Lively as Nick Larson, Dustin Milligan as Trevor Eastman )
- The Butterfly Effect ( starring Ashton Kutcher as Evan Treborn, Amy Smart as Kayleigh Miller, Eric Stoltz as George Miller )
- Butterfly on a Wheel ( starring Pierce Brosnan as Tom Ryan, Maria Bello as Abby Randall, Gerard Butler as Neil Randall )
- Carpool ( starring Tom Arnold as Franklin Laszlo, David Paymer, Rachael Leigh Cook )
- Case 39 ( starring Ian McShane as Detective Mike Barron, Bradley Cooper as Doug Ames, Renée Zellweger as Emily Jenkins )
- Catwoman ( starring Halle Berry as Catwoman, Benjamin Bratt as Tom Lone, Sharon Stone as Laurel Hedare )
- Chaindance ( starring Michael Ironside, Brad Dourif as Johnny, Bruce Glover )
- Chaos ( starring Jason Statham as Quentin Conners, Ryan Phillippe as Shane Dekker, Wesley Snipes as Lorenz )
- The Chronicles of Riddick ( starring Vin Diesel as Riddick, Judi Dench as Aereon, Thandie Newton as Dame Vaako )
- Code Name: The Cleaner ( starring Cedric the Entertainer as Jake Rodgers, Lucy Liu as Gina, Callum Keith Rennie )
- The Core ( starring Aaron Eckhart as Dr. Josh Keyes, Delroy Lindo as Dr. Ed 'Braz' Brazzleton, Hilary Swank as Maj. Rebecca Childs )
- The Day the Earth Stood Still ( starring Patricia Neal as Helen Benson, Hugh Marlowe as Tom Stevens, Sam Jaffe as Professor Barnhardt )
- Deck the Halls ( starring Matthew Broderick as Steve Finch, Kristin Davis as Kelly Finch, Danny DeVito as Buddy Hall )
- A Dog's Breakfast ( starring Paul McGillion, David Hewlett, Kate Hewlett )
- Double Jeopardy ( starring Tommy Lee Jones as Travis Lehman, Ashley Judd as Libby Parsons, Bruce Greenwood as Nick Parsons )
- Dreamcatcher ( starring Damian Lewis as Jonesy, Thomas Jane as Henry, Donnie Wahlberg as Duddits )
- Duets ( starring Paul Giamatti as Todd Woods, Gwyneth Paltrow as Liv, Maria Bello as Suzi Loomis )
- Edison ( starring Kevin Spacey as Wallace, LL Cool J, Justin Timberlake as Josh Pollack )
- Elektra ( starring Jennifer Garner as Elektra, Goran Višnjić as Mark Miller, Kirsten Prout as Abby Miller )
- The Exorcism of Emily Rose ( starring Laura Linney as Erin Bruner, Tom Wilkinson as Father Richard Moore, Jennifer Carpenter as Emily Rose )
- Fantastic Four ( starring Ioan Gruffudd as Mister Fantastic, Jessica Alba as Invisible Woman, Michael Chiklis as Thing )
- Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer ( starring Jessica Alba as Invisible Woman, Michael Chiklis as Thing, Chris Evans as Human Torch )
- Far Cry ( starring Michael Paré as Paul Summer, Clint Howard as Lead Scientist, Til Schweiger as Jack Carver )
- Final Destination ( starring Devon Sawa as Alex Browning, Ali Larter as Clear Rivers, Seann William Scott as Billy Hitchcock )
Vancouver is located in Greater Vancouver, Metro Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.