Legal Description:.5 acres in LaPorte, IN
Location:LaPorte, IN 46350
Lot Size:0.5 Acres
Road Access:Roads are complete ashfall, curbs and roads
Utilities:Well Required, Septic System Required, Electricity & Natural Gas Available
Additional Property Info:
Allesee Park , (Boyd Boulevard) ? is a 6-acre neighborhood park on the south side of the city. It was developed adjacent to a housing subdivision to provide recreational facilities to the neighborhood. Park includes a Ball Diamond, Basketball Half-Court, Benches, Parking, Playground, and a Walking Track. Improvements were made in 2000 thanks to a donation by the Allesee family to the La Porte Park Foundation.
Ben Rees Park , (Scott Street) ? Ben Rees Park is a 1.5-acre parcel that is half of a square block located near the Civic Auditorium. The park was the site of the Fourth Ward School in the early 1900s. The school was demolished in the 1920s and the property was donated to the city in the 1940s. The park was named in honor of Ben C. Rees, a local attorney and school board member. A new playground, basketball court and gazebo shelter were installed through the help of community volunteers and contributions.
Bill Reed Tennis Complex (2150 A Street) ? Features several Tennis courts, parking, water fountains and Pavilion.
Charles W. Lindewald Park, (Park Street) ? is considered La Porte?s first park. A parcel of land, 9.4 acres on Lower Lake, was purchased in 1890. The original parcel contained a notable grove of white oaks, of which a few stands of this native timber still remains. The park today is a popular site for family reunions and picnics. Facilities include a picnic shelter with grills, playground, restrooms, water fountains, ball diamond, Basketball Half-Court and 12 lighted horseshoe pits, which are home to the La Porte Horseshoe Pitches Association.
Clarke Field, (Farrand Avenue) ? is a two square block area of 6 acres that was a donation to the city in the late 1930s. The park is generally surrounded with tall, mature fir evergreen trees that provide a buffer for the adjacent residential areas. The main recreational usage at Clarke Field are two ball diamonds, one used primarily by the La Porte High School junior varsity and La Porte Babe Ruth Baseball and the other for younger age levels. The park also contains a playground, Ball Diamonds ($50.00 Add-on), a Concession Stand, Water Fountains, and public restrooms.
Fox Memorial Park, (Truesdale Avenue) ? originally started in 1911 with only 15 acres, has grown today to 170 acres of scenic beauty. In the early 1900s, flowers, shrubs, and trees were planted to further beautify the hills of mature oak, hawthorn and wild apple. The entire park was landscaped and strolling paths developed. Fox Memorial Park includes Clear Lake, which encompasses approximately 100 acres of the total park. Today, Fox Memorial Park can be considered one of La Porte?s finest parks. It still contains much of its scenic beauty. The trees planted in the early 1900s have matured to provide a scenic environment. Active recreational facilities have been developed at the park as the demand for such activities have increased. The park offers ball diamonds, including Ron Reed Field; basketball; playgrounds; picnic shelters with grills; fishing; boating; water fountains; walking and fitness trials; and Thrills ?n? Spills Skate Park. The park also contains the Dennis F. Smith Amphitheatre, home to various special events including the Arts in the Park program.
Hastings Park (Monroe St.) ? Small park, features a playground and benches.
Kesling Park (2150 A Street) ?is located on the southern edge of the community. It started with a small 2-acre land donation and has since grown through additional donations by the Kesling family to the present day size of 90 acres. Today, residents from all of La Porte enjoy the modern facilities including four ball diamonds, six tennis courts, a walking and nature trail, soccer fields, basketball courts, sledding hill and picnic shelters. The park also contains Fort La Play Porte, a large community-built playground.
Koomler Park (Miller Street) ? covers 4 acres in southern La Porte. It was initially a play area developed by the federal government in the 1940s for children of the workers at the Kingsbury Ordinance Plant. In 1962, this land was transferred to the city for exclusive use as a park. Today, Koomler Park serves the residents of Maple Terrace and offers a ball diamond, basketball court and playground.
?LaPark? (1st Street) ? adjacent to Bethany Lutheran Church.
Rumley Park (Home Street) is a 4-acre neighborhood park that was purchased and developed entirely with federal funds in 1980. It was actually a replacement park for the former Marquette Park, which was located four blocks away. Marquette Park was a piece of donated land that was unsuitable and unbuildable for a park. Rumley Park offers a basketball court, playground, picnic facilities and fishing.
Scott Field (Jefferson Avenue) was the result of another land donation of a developer. Originally, in the layout of Scott?s Second Addition, 5 acres in the middle of the new housing development was left as a neighborhood play area. The land was donated to the City of La Porte in 1923. It wasn?t until 1952 that the Park Department entered a 99-year lease, for $1 per year, with the school corporation. The park currently includes a shelter, playground, ball diamond, open play, half-court basketball and picnic facilities.
Soldiers Memorial Park (250 Pine Lake Ave.), dedicated in 1928 and containing 556 acres. It is the largest city park and widely known for its forested beauty, water sports and organized recreational activities. The park encompasses all of Stone Lake, 140 acres of water and all but 628 feet of shoreline. Also the park provides a variety of active and passive recreational activities including swimming, playgrounds, diamond sports (softball, baseball and t-ball), volleyball, mountain biking, cross-country skiing, fishing and boating. Within its gently rolling terrain, the property is approximately 85 percent woodlands and water. Access is available to Stone Lake, Pine Lake, Crane Lake and Craven Pond. Nature trails have been developed through a stand of native trees, allowing environmental education opportunities. Soldiers Memorial Park is also the site of the Park Department Office and maintenance facilities, as well as Cummings Lodge.
Stone Lake Beach (300 Grangemouth Drive) is a public beach with a volleyball courts, playground, picnic shelter, concession stand, and public restrooms.
Warsaw Tot Lot (Warsaw Street) is a small playground of less than 1 acre in size. The triangular piece of land was donated to the city in 1946 and was developed in 1980 with funding from a federal grant. The play equipment has been recently updated thanks to a donation from the La Porte Park Foundation. Park also has a basketball half-court.
Pine Lake Beach (Pine Lake Avenue) is a public beach with picnic tables, a newly built walk-way across the beach, and a picnic shelter including a grill.
Ski-Beach (Waverly Road) is a public beach with picnic tables and grills. This beach is commonly used by boaters, and has a channel connecting Pine Lake to Stone Lake.
Fish Trap Lake