Small Business Tips
Security Bloopers: Five Common Mistakes
Wondering if you've adequately protected your network can cause sleepless nights. In the rush of your workday, what could you have missed? Sleep better by avoiding these common mistakes.
1. Being too generous with wireless network access
"Guests expect wireless access, and you can make it secure with the right policy," says Philip Stone, president of Boardwalk Communications, a Cisco Premier Partner whose certifications include Advanced Wireless.
* Deploy a wireless access point that supports VLANs, such as Cisco Aironet? access points, and set up a guest VLAN that restricts access.
* Assign random passwords for guests and set them to expire after a specified time. Cisco 2100 Series Wireless LAN Controllers let your lobby receptionist do this.
* Don't broadcast your company's SSIDs, broadcast only guest SSIDs.
* Dial down the power setting. "Be sure to change the power setting so that you're not serving nearby companies," says Jerry Divino, security consultant at Boice Enterprises, a Cisco Certified Silver Partner whose certifications include Advanced Security and Advanced Wireless.
Continue Reading ...
Want access to more Cisco articles? Sign up to Cisco small business community newsletter by clicking here.