United States » Laws and Regulations » Employment Taxes

Employment Taxes

Laws and Regulations

Employment Taxes

Both employers and self-employed individuals are responsible for paying federal, state and local taxes. If you have employees, you must withhold certain taxes from your employees pay checks. Employment taxes include income taxes, social security and Medicare taxes, and the federal unemployment tax (FUTA). If you are self-employed, you are responsible for paying a self-employment tax that is similar to the social security and Medicare taxes withheld from the pay of most wage earners.

The following resources describe federal tax requirements for employers and the self-employed. For state tax requirements, including requirements for filing workers' compensation, disability and unemployment insurance taxes, consult the State Tax Guide.

For Self-Employed Individuals

For Employers

  • Employment Taxes for Businesses
    This IRS guide provides a description of federal taxes required for employers. Includes information on required forms (e.g. Form 941 and 944), filing requirements and deadlines, e-file options, and contact information for getting tax help.
  • Withholding Compliance Questions and Answers
    Frequently asked questions about Form W-4.
  • Independent Contractors vs. Employees : FAQs
    Are you or your help independent consultants or employees? Before you can learn how to treat payments you make for services, you must first know the business relationship that exists between you and the person performing the services.
  • Tax Withholding on Foreign Persons
    This section covers tax withholding topics for payments made to U.S. citizens abroad or aliens employed both in the United States and abroad. Also includes tax withholding and reporting rules on payments of U.S. source income made to foreign persons.
  • Foreign Students and Scholars
    Aliens temporarily present in the United States as students, scholars, teachers, researchers, exchange visitors, and cultural exchange visitors are subject to special rules with respect to the taxation of their income.
  • Reporting Agents (RAF)
    Reporting Agents assist employers in making required tax deposits and tax information filings to the federal government and to state and local governments.

Share This Page With Your Social Networks

Other Articles Related To Laws and Regulations

Quick Navigation

Employment Taxes