Small Business Tips
1. Hire slowly. Be willing to invest time and energy in your hiring decisions.
2. Be clear in your own mind what the job requires and measure candidates’ qualifications against the requirements of the job.
3. Consider how well a candidate will fit in with your corporate culture. Are her attitudes compatible? Is he cooperative?
4. Narrow the pool to serious candidates. Ways of weeding out non-contenders include announcing that drug testing is required of all new employees or asking applicants to write a brief essay on why they want the job.
5. Do brief phone interviews with 8 or 10 top candidates to reduce the pool further. Then do longer in-person interviews with two or three finalists.
For more tips go to: