How to Get More Control This Year: Smart Switching
Brought to you by the Cisco Innovators Program
Could you make a big difference in network performance and security if you had basic management features in some of your unmanaged LAN switches?
If so, smart switches can save you time and your company money.
A smart switch is the lowest-cost and easiest to use managed switch technology [LINK http://www.cisco.com/cisco/web/solutions/small_business/products/routers_switches/index.html]; it's an entry-level alternative to a fully managed switch. This article reveals where and how a smart switch works best.
Insert Where It Fits
A smart switch is ideal where money or technical expertise is in short supply, and the LAN needs to do at least one of the following:
- Have a higher level of security, reliability, or performance
- Support IP phones, now or within a few years
- Provide wireless access or power over Ethernet (PoE)
- Enable video surveillance, conferencing, or other streaming applications
It's true: knowledge is power. Here are the ways to gain it with a smart switch.
Improve Network Reliability and Performance
You can reduce network congestion and downtime in three major ways:
1. Increase LAN performance and uptime by using smart switch features such as:
2. Provide more bandwidth to specific applications and users with:
3. Prioritize delay-sensitive services (such as IP voice and video) by using the automated settings or configuring more granular control. For example, Cisco 200 Series switches offer:
Gain More Control over Security
To easily strengthen the security of a wireless or wired LAN, you can use a smart switch to:
Reduce Expenses in 2011 and Beyond
Save Hours of Technical Labor
Is this the year for a smart investment? You can right-size management by choosing new Cisco smart switches that are purpose-built and supported for small businesses.
Discover the advantages of Cisco 200 Series Smart Switches [LINK www.cisco.com/go/200switches].
Find a nearby an experienced Cisco reseller partner [LINK http://tools.cisco.com/WWChannels/LOCATR/openBasicSearch.do] to help you with your network needs.
Join the Cisco Innovators Program [LINK: www.cisco.com/go/innovators] to continue receiving small business-related articles, videos and offers. Already a member? Refer a friend [LINK: http://www.cisco.com/web/solutions/smb/programs/innovator/newsletter/refer_a_colleague.html?sid=195077_20]