All Locations » Business Documents » Self-Employed Individuals

Self-Employed Individuals

Business Documents


You are self-employed if any of the following apply to you:

You carry on a trade or business as a sole proprietor; You are a member of a partnership or limited liability company that files a Form 1065, U.S. Return of Partnership, that carries on a trade or business; or You are otherwise in business for yourself.
You are also self-employed if you have a part-time business, in addition to your regular job.

Independent Contractor

The general rule is that an individual is an independent contractor if (the person for whom the services are performed) has the right to control or direct only the result of the work, and not what will be done and how it will be done or method of accomplishing the result.

People such as lawyers, contractors, subcontractors, public stenographers, and auctioneers who follow an independent trade, business, or profession in which they offer their services to the public, are generally not employees. However, whether such people are employees or independent contractors depends on the facts in each case. The earnings of a person who is working as an independent contractor are subject to Self-Employment (SE) tax.

Click Here

Share This Page With Your Social Networks

Other Articles Related To Business Documents

Quick Navigation

Self-Employed Individuals